Any networking experts here?

doublem_1

Reaction score
I've recently bought a tv that has internet capability. However I need to buy a wireless lan adapter to use the wifi (it's in my bedroom).

Is there anyway that I could get a wireless repeater and run cat5 into the tv?

I did looked at this not a long ago since I have 2 LG TV with network capacity.

You can hook it up with "bridge" which you can network cable into the bridge which have an wifi connect to your wifi modem.

Alteratively - Use the router. I am researching on this more at the moment before I decide to buy router or modem but at the moment I am changing the internet company, I am at the moment with Virgin and want to change to Sky so let see! Maybe different Internet company.

You can run LAN over power lines, that'll have a CAT5 connection on either end. Wire one into the back of the router, and the other into the TV. I think Belkin are the advised manufacturers, but there's bound to be cheaper ones kicking about too. You just need a spare wall socket at the router and at the tv.

Google "LAN over mains" or something along those lines.

Decided to go for a usb wireless network jobby. Thanks for the replies though guys. The network through the power lines sounds like a great idea!

Powerlines are the way forwards - they "Just work", and for any given distance, seem to have much better bandwidth and link stability than wifi.

I'm still considering this, however I have a feeling that my ground floor is on a different circuit to the upstairs. So I don't think it'll work. But is there anyway I can test this out?

In a normal British house you should be okay. Not an electrical expert but I think if there is only 1 main switch in your consumer unit then you'll be okay.

I have them in my house now and they work great!

powerline works you have to make sure they are encrypted properly as some versions jump phases so several houses can see each others devices. if you wanted to keep it simple just make a wireless bridge onto your access point and will work perfectly