iPad 2 - Worth upgrading?

V8Guzzler

Reaction score
Hello - Who else has a 1st gen iPad, and is thinking of upgrading to the 2nd Gen? Is it worth it??
:sadlike:

What features of the new model appeal to you?

From what i can see, very little has changed. Your unlikely to walk around filming things, nor making video calls with it, making the upgraded cameras a bit of a moot point.

So the only real advantage is the slightly faster cpu and a bit of extra ram.

As above i'm not going to bother, it does have the faster CPU but to be honest i think the first one is fast enough as it is for what I use it for!!!!

I've got the 1st gen, don't see the point in upgrading. If you want video calls then I have an iPhone, and if for some reason I want a bigger screen I'll use FaceTime on my MacBook pro. As for the CPU and ram, the current one can handle all the apps I have used fine.

It's definately not worth upgrading, £100 more expensive than the first iPad for only a few minor differences, Although the smart cover is pretty cool, but you can buy the magnets for the first iPad now!

No point in upgrading, difference is minimal, and who is hampered by the processing speed of the 1st gen? Apple allegedly rushed the iPad 2 out in order to compete with other tablets now going on sale, therefore no real added value if you own an iPad already. Big changes are coming with the iPad 3, or so I have heard...

I think the new CPU is really quite a lot faster. In theory. What actually makes use of that I don't know. People say it's 'snappier'.... but that's not really worth an upgrade to me.

Was definitely a worthwhile upgrade for me, browsing in Safari was painful as it would constantly refresh when switching between open pages.

Can also notice the increased speed when using spreadsheets or reading iBooks / Magazines / Comics. Makes for a much more pleasant experience. It fits better in the hand than the old version too.

Minimal improvements but it all adds up to a much better device.

What else can you add to a tablet though, other than better camera+RAM+CPU+Memory?

What they need to improve it on iOS, which is becoming laughable now.

What else can you add to a tablet though, other than better camera+RAM+CPU+Memory?

What they need to improve it on iOS, which is becoming laughable now.

I would guess we will iOS 5 at WWDC this year, hopefully it will be decent change.