SAT NAV forums

Naresh

Reaction score
Does anyone know of any decent UK forums dedicated to PDA-based sat nav units such as the Navman, Garmin, Tom Tom etc? I want advice on which is best and where to get one for a low price. Thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have just downloaded a number of POI from there ! Not sure why I need to know where the nearest ASDA ot Argos is. but what the hell - it's good fun

You can also look at the forums on www.totalpda.co.uk

Regarding the poi's for speed cams etc, I find the poiplace website better than the pocketgps one. And it allows you upload new camera locations etc.

Rich.

There is so much information on those websites I don't know where to begin!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Can anyone reccomend what portable navigation unit is the best on the market, and also good value for money?? I don't use a PDA so don't feel the need to fork out for an IPAQ, unless its one of those recommended units.
I'm looking for a package really - something that includes everything I need in the box including UK maps. Not bothered about stands etc as I would probably design some kind of custom enclosure to store it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mark - you've got me interested in your TomTom as well now!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif What model was the package and how much did you pay? I doubt I'll be using it a great deal but they're really handy when in unfamiliar places. Also, is it possible to mount this unit somewhere other than the dashboard - like under the ashtray in a custom mount? I heard these take batteries but can it be hooked up to a cigarette lighter instead? What does you do once you've left the car - carry it around with you? Doubt it would fit my wife's handbag!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Always thought having navigation was cheating!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks for the reply Mark and sorry for all the questions - I'm completely new to these portable navigation units and always comparing to the touch screen system in my dad's Lexus LS430 - that's the best I've used!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

You said the TomTom had flaws - can you elaborate on that please? I'm just seeing how the flaw with your unit compare with others in similar price brackets such as the Navman 510. I guess nothing will be perfect in the £400 range but if its something I can live with then I'll know which to opt for! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Use a Mitac Mio 168 PDA with Co Pilot software. I use this with a Brodit Vent mounted holder. Wouldnt be without it.

Used it recently on holiday in France and saved me a lot of time and stress. (women and map reading just dont go together)

After stuck in a traffic jam on the M25 we arrived late at Portsmouth for the ferry and in our rush we missed the turn to the ferry terminal. The Mitac immeadiatly gave us a new route and arrived with 15mins to spare. Without it we would have missed the ferry.

Well worth the money

You can get some deals on TomTom Go at Curry's - £349.99 inc vat and delivery last time I looked.

Go to http://www.rpoints.com/?ruid=53381 and then type in TomTom Go in the search bit at the top. Not sure if you need to register before you see the offers or not though

Thats a good price but it doesn't say that on the website - Currye list it at £449! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif But I will see how the rpoints website works and try and get a discount through them. I was meant to get the IPaq + TomTom set up from my brother but it keeps crashing so I've not had a play with it yet to help make up my mind! Hope there is a retailer out there which provides demo's! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I had an Ipaq + TT setup before I got teh Navi+ in my car.

It was goo, but loads of wires and I wasn't using the Ipaq as a pda so was a waste of time for me.

The Curry's price was only through rpoints. Not sure if it is still on as Curry's out of stock. You have to register with rpoints, then do a search for Tomtom.

www.ebuyer.com are doing this tomtom go for 399 + Delivery i think.
I am going to use an Ipaq as the new one has a 4 inch screen and is just great i have a need for an ipaq at work so it is useful i like to be able to move it from car to car as well.
As the GPS is all bluetooth as well which is much better no extra wires all over the place. Which is much the same as the tomtom go unit great piece of kit.