EM TuningJMB Retrofits

Thread: bravia pixely

1st Gear

Status

bravia pixely

ive got a sony bravia tv which on dvd's the picture is mint but on sky its very very poor, i mean poor as in say your watching a dark film like saw the picture is good until theres lots of dark stuff and the dark stuff goes all pixely, as in the tv cant be arsed to make the detail in the darks so it just turns into big dark squares, but in that picture the faces etc are fine just dark bits are pants!! ive tried some settings on sky and tv and they seem to be ok (1080p) any ideas? we did have hd but not now but this shouldn't make this difference as my old toshiba picture frame2 tv was mint on everything!! could it be the sky dish is not 100% set up correctly?

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    i also have a Sony bravia and when watching bluray films it is awesome but general TV its not the best to be honest

1st Gear

Status
    That's how SD Sky works (all SD to be fair). The focal point of the picture will be good. The background does not contain the detail and looks pixelated. It saves bandwidth and money. Transmitting at a higher bit rate would improve the situation but uses more bandwidth and costs more money. In HD the situation is very much improved. Sky does not do 1080P only 1080i and you would need SKYHD for that. Basically SKY SD is rubbish quality.

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    I've seen the same thing on a few LCD's including a Sony and i wasnt impressed in the slightest. I went for a Panasonic Plasma in the end, because it looks bloody awesome in comparison.

I know you said you dont have HD any more, but are you using a Sky HD box, or a normal one? The Sky HD box does a pretty good job of upscaling SD material from what i've seen, although i'm not sure if it will do the upscaling without a HD subscription, i'd imagine it will.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build