website creation software

sportstractor

Chugger
Reaction score
Me and a couple of friend are thinking of creating and managing a website for our local area. Had a few ideas and have a good plan of action. I sort of remember some stuff which I was thought but cant remember what program I used for creating the html pages. any suggestions would be great?

Yep, FrontPage has been put out to pasture, and most of it's bloated and proprietary code-compiling engine built-in to MS Word. You can tell by my description that I for one (and I dare say the vast majority of webmins would agree) don't miss it.

Have you considered WordPress or Joomla? They both started out as blogging systems, but you can (and lots of people do), build pretty comprehensive and involved websites with them. The beauty of them is that once you've set them up on a server, and put basic things like a theme/style in place; adding content is as simple as logging into a back-end interface, and filling out forms - it's literally no more complicated than posting on a forum; and of course when you want a refresh or re-design, you just have to change the theme, meaning there's no need to edit everything you've put into the wild previously.

Other than that, you're probably after Dreamweaver. I'd venture that it's what most of the rest of the web is built in these days; but it could be argued that when you're green to it, building a vessel to get 1,000 people to mars and back out of the contents of a waste paper bin is easier to get your head around. Thankfully there are plenty of good books...

All the best,

Rob.

perfect reply rob. After a bit more research I have discovered dreamweaver, probably a touch to expensive intially though, and no doubt its complicated, so way beyond me. So far I have found coffeecup html editor which seems ok, but will have a go with what you have suggested. Style and theme will be the next head scratcher.

Thanks, Jim

Glad to help :beerchug:

I've never played with Coffee Cup myself, but I remember it arriving on the scene a good while ago - and from what I hear it's developed into a pretty capable package. Don't panic on the style/template front if you decide to have a play with WordPress or Joomla btw... There are boat loads of them available all over th'owd tinterwibble for free :)

Good luck!

Rob.

I use Serif Web Plus X4. easy to use cheap and plenty of features. latest site built using it is Home Let me know if you want to know more. It does as much as most high end packages.

I use dreamweaver professionally and it has (rarely) faltered me; I'd go with it, with built in FTP its nice and lazy.

Sandwich board maybe help?

Sandwich+board.jpg