Samsung i9000 vs Iphone 4

1animal1

The Clar!! it mouves!!!
Reaction score
just purchased the i9000 and absolutely love it.....compared to the misus iphone 3 there really is no comparison

4 of my mates at work have iphone 4's, functionality wise the Samsung is faster and much more slick with a longer battery life and nice and light weight. Bad points? it feels tacky in comparison and the iphone screen just edges it, although rumour has it that iphone are looking at the screen technology in the samsung for their next version. Android versus iphone apps, well android is has many thousands of apps, not as many as iphone yet

im hoping the android 2.2 release is going to make this phone even quicker

all a matter of opinion of course but many have agreed :)

(this from a hardened Nokia chap who has previously tried and been disappointed with every other make of phone)

yeah there are some good android phones which are quite good competitors for the iphone, had a play on a htc desire which was pretty good. Only thing you cant beat on an iphone is the apps, there is such a fanbase it would be tough to beat. Samsung make good phones, i bought a samsung jet when i broke my last phone, was only £200 which isnt alot of a handset but iv been well impressed with it, its very quick, bad side being it doesnt really do 'apps' lol

Sandy......is that the one thats literally just come out? i know theres a Dell expected thats gonna be really good

Sports...yup i almost bought the Wave which was the first to have this screen but found it only had samsung apps, android dont charge for their development software so hopefully it will improve massively..... Iphone will always have the style statement though - my misus has had hers 12 months and cant wait to get rid of it, she is in the minority though i think

I used to be a diehard Nokia fan too, then converted to Samsung. I do love the samsung but they have so much more room for improvement with useability and function with certain things. They always had looks and style which i love with the added bonus of light weight.

But just owning an iphone 4 since release date I honestly can't see anything bar Dell Streak getting any close to being compared to the iphones. Thing with dell streak is that its quite bit huge, they have made it bigger to become more of a multimedia tablet aswell, but it's practicals will struggle with terms of if you want to go jogging you got this great big thing attached you or clubbing it will be considerably bigger in the pocket. Simple fundamentals.

I'm not over raving about the iphone 4 as theres always room for improvement but for an all rounder that has everything you can't complain. Best thing with iphones also a years time they are still worth £100-200. my samsungs are now worth £16-£40 after a year so i get money back when upgrading.

It'll be interesting to see what the Dell Streak can do nearer the time too, but the one that will challenge iphone will be Google's next device. :)

Anyone seen the advert which has people saying 'its just like a golf' thats exactly what my friends have been saying about phones...'its just like an iPhone'

i got the samsung gts 5560.. a baby in comparison but a very usefull smart phone. can look on here, facebook you tube etc no probs and its light and fast. easy to use and has a 5mp cam.

what more do ya need... oh it makes a recives calls too! :p

Anyone seen the advert which has people saying 'its just like a golf' thats exactly what my friends have been saying about phones...'its just like an iPhone'

only with a better screen (arguably) and faster interface :) although the quality is definately to be desired :(

Is anyone using their Galaxy S with the Audi factory fitted bluetooth handsfree? Does it work ok? Just trying to decide which way to go as i know the iphone works fine with it.

Here's a twist for you... I've got an i8000 (Omnia II) which I'm more than happy with...

OK, some background:

1) The main reason I got it was because it was about the 'best' handset I could get, while still receiving a free Samsung 40" 1080P telly (yes, I know nothing's ever free etc. etc. - but I got a pretty decent telly when I needed one, without spending a penny, the bonus was I got a better deal on my phone service and still made a saving on the line-rental (saving about £20/month)).

2) Yup, it's a Windows Mobile 6.5 powered device. That means it's not got anything like the application support (certainly in terms of toys/games etc.) of an iPhone, or an Android based device (don't worry, I'm more than aware of the issues with WinMo, and how Microsoft have just about one chance left to grab some meaningful share of a market which they pretty much created ~10 years ago with WinCE devices - so much so that I've written a draft white paper on it).

However...

I've just been hacking the hell out of the little fella. I've had a number of WinMo handsets over the years, and yes (as indicated in my little report for MS) they've all never quite been as good as they could've been - until making use of some of the amazing work done by the folks on the hacking/development circuit.

So now it runs a very much stripped-out WM 6.5.3 build, with only the MS/Samsung 'extras' which I like installed - this makes it a much quicker/lighter base environment. I've got SPB Mobile Shell on it as the front end, which is very tidy looking, very customisable, and really quick. I've got SPB Weather on there, which gives me decent weather forecasting (inc animated satellite/RADAR imaging etc.); SPB Radio for streaming internet radio - which plays more or less any common type of stream, and perfectly over 3G too. For web browsing I'm using Opera 10, and I've got Flash Lite 7 installed (which might not be quite as good as Mozilla on a PC, but as far as mobile internet goes, it's impressively fully featured). I've got Core Player for media playback, which will play a boat load of audio and video formats very nicely. Google Maps is there too, with satellite imaging, driving directions and searching by voice. I've got my Sky application on there, which while it doesn't allow live streaming video, gives me access to their news and sport pages; plus full remote recording for Sky+. There's a very capable YouTube client, and a nicely tweaked (so it's happy to play over 3G on any provider) BBC iPlayer client too. An RDP/Windows Remote Desktop client, Live messenger and Pocket Outlook with Exchange (inc. Push) support are all cute too. There may be Swype installed for text-input too (it was cheekily ripped from a Verizon (US) ROM). WMWiFiRouter is cool too (share 3G or WiFi over USB/Bluetooth/WiFi). I've not installed TomTom Navigator as yet, but it won't be long (and is wholly possible - and folks are working on a driver to use the built-in FM radio as a TMC traffic receiver :))

It's not for everyone, and there's a bit of hacking and flashing involved to get it to this stage; but actually (imho) it takes WinMo (even before WP7) out of the bin, and brings it very much back to the table.

As I say, there aren't all the toys and games available which are found on the iPhone and increasingly Android, but there are a few cute little things to play with out there. I honestly can't come up with anything that'd be really useful to me which I can't do with it now.

...And there we get back to that white paper. It's all about where MS have given the market away to Apple and Google, because it's only ever been about 75% as good as it should be out-of-the-box; which despite how much fun it is to do some MS-bashing, genuinely is a bit of a shame. Still, if you're brave/stupid/know what you're doing tinkering with ROMs, you might not have an iPhone killer on your hands, but you can 'create' something which competes pretty damn well.

I'm also keeping an eye on a project which is progressing reasonably to port Android to the handset, just in case I fancy a change :)

The telly's not bad either :thumbsup:

All the best,

Rob.

Last edited:
:lmfao: To be fair, that's the first proper rant I've launched into on the board for a little while, and I'd wager the word count is down on my normal ones! :)

I guess it just gets my cogs turning when I think about stuff like this - MS have been doing this stuff for donkey's years, but as if often their way, have never achieved full potential with it; yet with a bit of work from an interested community (who MS would probably quite cheerfully set the lawyers on if the whim took them), it's a completely different story. They're going to p**s away the PC/TV convergence market away next...

OK, I'll stop myself before I get started on that!

//R

I just don't like iPhones...simple as

Got the Samsung myself and i love it, might attempt to root it at some point soon which basically overclocks the processor to 1.3GHz :laugh: stupid power for a phone!!

here we have the HTC....'is it an Iphone'? no it's a HTC...i dont care i want an iphone, but it has a better processor etc etc...yeah but is it an iphone :)

Anyone remember that off the book of face :)

I'm still ribbing all my mates at work about their iphone 4's.... ;)

3210 all the way! But nah iphone is the shiz, battery is slowly losing its will to stay charged for long though. :(

Well none of this matters now because my life is OVER! How, i hear you ask? Well i dropped it. And now its smashed all at the back. Its all nice it being glass but crap when it drops.. Insurance are asking for £50 excess to get it fixed. Robbing C%&TS!! *goes to find the nearest bridge to jump off*

iphone is good for apps and people like me that aren't really computer tech orientated and the people that are clued up go for android phones usually

had both the iphone 4 and the galaxy
kept the iphone for a week .way to locked down even when jail broke soon youll need permission from apple just to switch the phone on .

the galaxy i have still for more than 5 months , whoever said in this thread that rooting the phone overclocks it to 1.3 ghz thats a complete load of bull .

but if you know what youre doing head over to xda forum , root your phone and then flash darkys rom on it .

makes the phone blazing fast and because android is open source nothing is locked down ,there a mod out for everything

I'm getting Galaxy on Tuesday.
Didn't take iphone because it doesn't open my share dealing website.
I can find app for everything I want for android.
Plus lack of flash with apple makes me laugh.

I think he means the flash code for playing videos/ displaying websites etc rather than the camera flash.

Flash is ok, and I sometimes miss it, but to be fair it is power hungry. Whenever I go on anything on my laptop with flash the fans kick in full blast within about 30 seconds.

I do miss the Android OS sometimes though, and rooting phones was always fun, but I love my iPhone at the moment.

Yeah, I meant flash as software not camera flash ;)

I'm an iPhone convert, got mine 3 weeks ago, totally addicted to it. But I only use it as a multimedia device, I still have me ever lasting N95 for calls separately.

I'm an iPhone convert, got mine 3 weeks ago, totally addicted to it. But I only use it as a multimedia device, I still have me ever lasting N95 for calls separately.

Why didn't you get an iPod touch then? :p

I do love my iPhone. It does everything so well. If I was to buy anything else I think i'd quite fancy a WP7 phone, they look pretty good.

Why didn't you get an iPod touch then? :p

I do love my iPhone. It does everything so well. If I was to buy anything else I think i'd quite fancy a WP7 phone, they look pretty good.

I was looking at ipod touch, but the iphone4 came up at a reasonable price, so I snapped it up. Plus the 3G is handy, 9 quid for 3 months and 3GB of data.

Iphone 4 is the best fone around .i had the first mobile house bricks right through all the nokias etc etc .the iphone jailbroken with the right apps is unbeatable .flash player works on mine lmfao .apple cant restrict there own technologies :) .cheers apple .samsungs fall to bits after 6 months and resale values are ***** .