Speed up with no gas

I

imported_ProShift

Hi everyone, I wasn't quite sure which forum to put this in, so apologies if I got it wrong. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I have a VW Polo 1.6CL (1999)in the UK, and I'm having an annoying problem with the clutch/gears/idle. I'm not certain which of the 3 is the main problem, so I'm hoping one of you guys can enlighten me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Basically, I start moving off gently in gear 1 (flat ground), e.g (6-7mph) , I shift into 2nd, and without applying any gas at all, it begins to speed up by itself and maintains 10mph, (regardless of engine braking), I have to constantly feather the brakes if I need to be slower than 10mph.

It doesn't bother me for regular driving, but my son plans on taking his driving test in this car in 2-3 weeks, and he says it's hard to take corners smoothly and slowly, and apparently he will pick up faults if he steers round a corner while braking. (Apparently your not supposed to).

The same applies for gear 3, it speed upto 15mph by itself, even if u brake to a lower speed.

My friends have commented on it being an idle speed that is higher than what it should be. The needle does point a little over the 800rpm mark when idling on a warm engine.

Also, the gas pedal is always pressed down a little. Like, the first half-inch is loose and always further down. I'm guessing this is the main culprit, but if I lift the pedal up so that it's in the "normal" position, it still does the same thing.

I would hate for my son to fail his test because of a problem with the car, and I know he would probably have a go at me if I let him take the car for a test knowing about this problem. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

So any advice is greatly appreciated, and thanks very much for reading! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If i was you i would check assembly where throttle is connected spray with grease or wd40 or check to see everything is tight and not lose and look out for fraying on throttle cable as this could be sticking in it,If this does not solve problem it is more than likely electrical problem i.e.Governer that regulates air fuel mixture when engine under load(air flow meter?)
Question does this happen when car is cold and when hot?

It sounds like your idle is a little high, do you have aircon?? If so try it with the aircon off, there is a kind of governer that raises the revs slightly to help prevent stalling

Thanks very much to both Rev-head and Mawhitey for the replies.

[ QUOTE ]
do you have aircon??

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, just the regular stock demister/heater.

[ QUOTE ]
Question does this happen when car is cold and when hot?

[/ QUOTE ]

Both. The figures I gave above were when the engine was warmed up. The gears idle at even higher speeds when the engine is cold. E.g Gear 2 would idle at 12-13mph with no gas, when cold.

Thanks again for the help with diagnosis. I will try your suggestions.

[ QUOTE ]
i would check assembly where throttle is connected

[/ QUOTE ]

throttle, meaning the behind the pedal area, right?
or somewhere under the bonnet?

Thanks!
Ray

that seem just like my old polo, and current polo van! they both do it if your comming to a round about and put it in 3rd in stead of 1st and try and roll along the car just wants to shoot off, my mate at VW has lowered the idle speed, which was a 2 min job but still does it at certain revs!!

Ill ask him and get back to you on how to do it!!