Should Audis have rear wheel drive?

I

imported_ndrummond

Martin Winterkorn, head honcho at Audi, announced a while back that Audi would move to rear-wheel drive platforms for its cars to endow them with more sporty handling balance. That was until the idea was vetoed by the head of Volkswagen, Mr Burnt Fishtrousers (Berndt Pischetstreider). The reason for this apparently is that Audi customers prefer front wheel drive and rear wheel drive would alienate them.

As an Audi owner, I disagree. If Audi is to truly fulfil its ambition to be a sporting car brand, then it needs to do something about having all of its vehicles' weight located over or infront of the front wheels. Moving the engine back in the B7 A4 by 4 cm is certainly a step in the right direction, but is hardly going to worry BMW or Mercedes-Benz?

So what do you think, fellow Audiphiles? (Please choose one)<FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://www.audi-sport.net/ubbthreads/dopoll.php"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1095189543drum">

Should Audis have front or rear wheel drive?
<input type="radio" name="option" value="1" />a. Stick with current front weight biased front-wheel drive layout
<input type="radio" name="option" value="2" />b. Move to 50-50 weight distribution via rear-wheel drive
<input type="radio" name="option" value="3" />c. Move to a more even weight distribution but maintain front-wheel drive
<input type="radio" name="option" value="4" />d. Doesn't matter so long as Quattro option is available
<INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons"></form>

Audi are probbably best to stick to FWD + Quattro.

Look what happened when they produced a neutral, adjustable quattro platform in the shape of the mark1 TT, idiots spun it off the road...

There was an interesting article in EVO this month comparing the new BMW 1 series to the Focus and Golf, and they claim that the Focus has a much more entertaining chassis and is more prone to oversteer than the RWD BMW.

What would be nice, would be an end user adjustable quattro system (akin to the MTM / Forge haldex controller) so that power distribution could be adjusted manually.

I fear that for most drivers of Audi (i.e. the non performance minded majority) FWD vs RWD would make little difference, would not dramatically alter the nanny state understeer chassis characteristics and would be reigned in by an even more authoritarian ESP system.

Audi have proved time and time again that they won't take a risk and make a neutral balance car with a bit of risk built in (like the BMW M Coupe - a fine handling and balanced machine), so a transition to RWD would be no big deal.

I have a Nissan 200SX and an Audi A4 Tdi 130. The Nissan is much easier to drive around the twisties (despite having over 300bhp), but that is partly due to the fact that I have been driving it for the last 2 years, and the suspension has been very comprehensively modified. For someone who is not so interested in cars and just wants to go from A to B, a front wheel drive car is less intimidating when you breach its limits.

I thing that the A4 is a terrific car as it is, but looking at the large transmission tunnel and the longitudinal layout of the engine, I keep wondering what it would feel like to be RWD. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif