what offset you guy's running on A3 TDI-SPORT (8P)

vw754

vorsprung Durch Technik
Reaction score
What offset are you guy's running on 18'' wheels?

MY A3 2.0 TDI SPORT (2006) is currently on original 17's with an offset of ET56.

Should i be looking at the same offset on 18'' wheels? Which offset can i safely use without the tyres/wheels rubbing on the car.

I was told ET42 would be ok but then some say ET45 onwards only, what difference would it make to the handling of the car with a different offset?

Also another thing that concerns me is the gap between the wheel and arch,going from 225 45 17 to 225 40 18's will there be any difference in the arch to wheel gap or is this just an optical illusion (as i was told )

ANY PICTURES WITH A3 (8P CHASSIS ONLY) ON 18'S APPRECIATED.
PREFERBALY ON STANDARD SPORT SUSPENSION.

8x 18 et45 without any rubbing - could possibly go out 1-2mm but no more

et42 will rub if you are lower than an se

guys i need your help...i dont fancy lowering my car........but would appreciate a close up pictyre of 18'' wheels on standard sport suspension(not s-line) my car is the sport model so i would like to see what 18's look like on the car without lowering it..........what you guys think?

Mines a sport, I'm not into lowering so was surprised in what I did, but was best thing could do, I stuck Koni FSD shocks on, Eibach Pro 30mm & also I have et 45 & not one bit of rubbing or grounding over bumps, cant get better I'd say for me anyway & you seem to be like me when comes to these things on the car, but I can assure you the height is perfect on the eye & the ride is better aswell.

I got all my kit except wheels, but including my new ARB's from Damian@dpm who sponsors this forum, you really couldnt go to or deal with a better guy or company than them, seriously great service & support.

I'd say at least stick the springs on for the better look for the 18's or it will look like a tractor as people said to me, lol, cheap mod if you can do yourself or have a friendly mechanic.

Sorry no images

N.

i have a wheel dilema at the minute the car is running rs6 reps 19" with 235 tyres , and looks like a tractor the ride is way to high and the wheels rub pretty bad , dont know what offset the rims are though , although i do know they are rubbing on the screws that secure the rear bumper on .

wanting to lower the car and have a new set of 30 mm lowering springs

the wheels are scuffed anyway so i was going to buy a new set of wheels + tyres in 18"
but i could just buy some new 19" rims as the tyres are excellent that i have

what offset do i need to avoid the rubbing or has anyone modded the bumper mount to avoid this

also what wheels ?? im really stuck on what wheels look good on the sport back

so as much info would be great

ive got Genuine s-line wheels the offset are : ET54 7.5jx18 Fitted apex lowering springs,ride is sitting very snug. If your getting aftermarket you need a minimum of Et45 8x18

had the back wheels off today to fit the lowering springs ,damn car looks like a tractor now ,was thinking of fitting a plough to the back .

the lowered springs were maybe 5mm lower than standard springs when sat side by side , thats not a good indication to start with

put the wheels back on got 2 fattys to sit in the boot couldnt get the car to rub the arches anymore , just looks like a 4x4 now

anyway found out the wheels are a 35 offset , will i get away with a 45 offset on 19,s with 235,35,19 tyres ??

original offsetss are 52-56 for the a3 on a 7x17 or 7.5x18
with moderate lowering you can get away with et45 at 8x18 but nothing less using a 225 or 235 tyre in either 18" or 19"

if you lower further or use a wider tyre you would need a 7.5wide et45 or an 8wide et50 or similar - these are very thin on the ground and usually expensive

so, 235/35/19 on an 8x19 et45 should be ok

well even though the car only seems to sit around 10mm lower than standard it handles alot better and with the 19" rims it doesnt scrape anymore

btter ride quality than standard as welll with no wallowing

I've got 8.5 x 18 ET38 on an A3 8P Sport, that has H&R -35mm springs.
There was some rubbing when I had fatty's in the back or a load in the boot to start with, but once I got Eibach ARB fitted that stopped and now handles like a dream and looks perfect.
All I will say about the H&R springs... Handling = ++++ve Hardness on badly maintained roads = -----ve (ouch!!)

Thinking of changing the shocks and springs tbh, as although it was incredible on the Ring, as a daily driver I'm not sure my back will last unless they start fixing the ****** frost-damaged roads soon!! If the rubbing returns I'll let you know.

thanks............a year late but hey !

Guys ... 18X8 ET 44 (BBS Ck) in 18" on Koni coils (not slammed). Going over extreme road ondulations/depressions - think the rear tire will rub the plastic or? I know I can always raise, but would like to hear from experiences here ...