A3 8P Tyres - Goodbye Pirelli, hello GoodYear

Fleagle

Reaction score
Just changed the tyres on my A3 2.0TDI 170 S-Line. I know there's a lot of debate on the forums regarding best tyres, prices, fitters etc so thought I'd post a couple of thoughts.

The stock Pirelli P Zero Rosso (225/40 18) lasted well. They have just been changed at 30,105 (mainly motorway) miles, although I should have really swapped them at 28,000 miles. They were rotated once at 12,000 miles. They all wore slightly faster in centre but I did over-inflate by 2 PSI, as my previous car always needed a couple of extra PSI. With hindsight I'd have left them at recommended pressures. Rears had 2.5mm left, fronts were bordering on the legal limit. They wore evenly (considering the over-inflation) and tracked true. They weren't perfect though - the fronts got very skittish in the wet. They could also throw up a lot of road noise but it's to early to compare with anything else yet so don't believe they're noisier than anything else.

I was tempted to replace with the same again, but decided to try the GoodYear Eagle Asymmetrics based on the great reviews they're getting. Too early to form an opinion yet so I won't post one yet. I'm hoping the wet handling is an improvement, and reading the reviews I believe it should be.

Fitted at North Eastern Tyres in York where they came within £2 of BlackCircles fully fitted price with very little negotiation. So £474 all-in, including nitrogen fill (which I didn't request). Aired my concerns over first tyre change on immaculate rims (40 profile, 5-arm S-Lines) but no need to worry. All fitted perfectly with no damage.

Hoping someone will find this useful. Regards, Dave.

i changed mine to the same tyre too and got to say they are really really good, the grip is unbeliveable, may i ask what tyre pressure you running the front and rear

i changed mine to the same tyre too and got to say they are really really good, the grip is unbeliveable, may i ask what tyre pressure you running the front and rear

I'm running at standard pressures - 35psi front and 32psi rear. I think Audi have the pressures about right for even wear across the tread.

After a few thousand miles I'm happy with the GoodYears. Wet grip is a definite improvement over the Pirellis. I know new tread always feels fantastic when you replace worn tyres, but the Pirellis were never good in the wet. I don't think there's a massive difference in dry or cold conditions though.

Regards, Dave

I fitted a set of Asymmetrics to my FPV GT-P over 1 year ago (245/35/19's) and really loving them. Theyve done around 13,000kms and are around 40% worn.

An aussie magazine called "Motor' did a big tyre test comparison and the assymetrics were good, but not the best in the dry, but were by the far the best in the wet.

in fact, they actually stopped in less distance in the wet than in the dry, which Goodyear themselves struggled to explain, only saying that they spent a lot of time developing them for wet conditions