Suspension

Hueyoz

Reaction score
Does anyone out there know how car suspension actually works, and how the different components (springs, shocks, sway bars) interact with each other? I have added a 20mm rear sway bar to my 1998 A4 Quattro and it has made a huge difference. It has, of course, stiffened up the rear end considerably which has reduced the understeer of the vehicle by a rather large amount (by making the front and rear more balanced). It still understeers a little, but only a little. I believe (from what I have been told) that in order for your car to go around a corner at maximum speed, you need to have the suspension as soft as possible (subject to bottoming out), and subject also to how much body roll you get. Anti-sway bars reduce the body roll, but stiffen up the suspension through a corner, causing understeer (or oversteer). To then negate this, you need to soften the rest of the suspension (ie shocks and springs) so that you reduce the understeer (or oversteer) which means you get more grip. Again, from what I can learn, most after-market spring sets seem to be stiffer again (than original equipment), which is not what is required. Does anyone know much about this topic? Any help would be greatly appreciated