Can't Find A Straight Answer :S A3 8P Wheels and Lowering (Sorry)

lanky512

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm pretty sure you are all fed up of answering wheel questions about lowering etc. :sorry: I have read all the posts in this section and the Audi A3 8P section and can only find snippets of info here and there. Nothing concrete.

I Drive an A3 2.0 FSI 53 plate.

I have Replica Rs4 Rims 19x8.5 ET45 on 235/35/19 Kuhmo Ecsta's. The shop I bought them from told me I would be OK to lower my car on these.

(I know this is the wrong way to do it, as I should of looked into lowering first but its done now) After having these wheels for around a month I then looked into lowering. The front wheels looked slightly problematic to me as they seemed to stick out slightly too much. After reseaching on the net I found out that many people are saying that lowering on the wheels measurements I have will cause major scrubbing issues. Can anyone confirm this please? It was suggested to me to get a thinner tyre and stretch them to elimate rubbing issues but I know this carries insurance discrepancies and I would prefere not to do this.

I am pretty sure I will have to buy new wheels. :think: All i want is to lose the gappy 4x4 look that I currently have. So, the straight answers I am after are...What is the prefered 18 inch wheel measurements and tyres for problem free lowering? and also the same info for 19 inch wheels.

Id like to lower the car on FK coilovers as they are reasonably priced. I presume that if i chose somewhere reputable to get them fitted they will know the optimum setup for the suspension? Or would I have to trial and error it myself?

Ride comfort does not bother me. Mainly after the looks and a handling improvement.

Again, really sorry to have to ask the same question but about a different car. Your help is much appreciated and greatly needed. :sos:

Thanks for reading.

Mark.

I lowered mine by 50mm with 8x18 rims with a 42mm offswet and the standard 225/40/18 tyres. The rubber ever so slightly at the rear, all I had to do was grind half the head off the screw that holds the arch liners off and it resolved the issue.

What sort of drop are you looking at? I think even though you have a bigger offset that you will still have rubbing issues as your rims are half an inch wider!

J.

I lowered mine by 50mm with 8x18 rims with a 42mm offswet and the standard 225/40/18 tyres. The rubber ever so slightly at the rear, all I had to do was grind half the head off the screw that holds the arch liners off and it resolved the issue.

J.

Sorry mate but I found that it still rubbed, even after you modified the liner screw. OK, so only if anyone was in the boot or on a high speed compression on say a Motorway.

No issues now on 30mm Eibach springs and Koni FSD dampers though.

Paul

Cool. I'm pretty sure im gonna' go for 18's i just dont like the Q7 look on mine at the moment ;) 50mm sounds good.

Gti Jazz Blue, could you post up a side view picture of your car please :)?
(Unless its this http://www.zen98016.zen.co.uk/Photos/DSCF6402.JPG ?)
then obviously iv already seen it hehe.

Would anyone else mind sharing their current wheels and lowering setup? maybe someone with 19's

Thanks alot.

That is the current stance lowered on Eibach Pro-Springs with Koni FSD Dampers.

Paul

I'm running 19x8 wheels ET50 with 225/35/19 tyres and 30mm Eibach springs and they are fine. Even with people in the back and stuff in the boot it's fine It could do with coming down a bit more, say another 10mm. I take it you are on standard suspension at the moment. If you go with a 30mm lowering you should have no problems, the 50mm lowering looks good but does cause issues. If you are planning on getting coilovers these should be height adjustable you could set up the ride height to be as low as possible without rubbing.
I would stick with your 19s as the 235/35/19s and 225/40/18s are virtually the same rolling radius and only slightly wider or go with a 225/35/19 tyre. This is totally safe as with an 8.5" wide wheel you are within the safe wheel width for a 225 tyre, a 225 can go on a 9" and be safe.

Cool. Thanks alot for the advice. Much appreciated. :thumbsup: