Replica alloys??

axelfols

Reaction score
Thinking about getting 20 inch rims for my 98 A9 sport (currently 18 inch ). Are replicas any good and does it affect the handling, comfort and road noise?

Yes it may well affect it all.
By going larger you will make the wheel heavier unless you buy some good lightwieght rims.
By making heavier you will affect the braking, cornering, acceleration and general handling.
By have a larger rim you will have to lower your profile, this may make the ride harder, and with less give in the side wall you may loss a little in handling again.

The only way to improve handling with larger rims is to make sure the rims are lighter than the one being replaced.

An example.
A saving of 2Kg Per Wheel x 4 Wheels = Removing 48 Kg from the Bodywork.

But for bling or looks then you cant beat it ;-)

Pistonart said:
An example.
A saving of 2Kg Per Wheel x 4 Wheels = Removing 48 Kg from the Bodywork.

But for bling or looks then you cant beat it ;-)

Okay, now I'm cinfused.:think:

I take it every 1kg you remove from the wheels is equivalent to 6kg from the body:keule:I/m not getting it!

Yes, you are right. 1kg = 6kg body weight.
Unspring weight is different to body weight.
That wheel has to be spun and the enery used is different to just taking weight off a car.

in my experience of replica wheels thay are cheaper and weaker than originals, i've got 20's which cost £250 each, and worth every penny!

Pistonart and evomaster3000 are both right. Putting larger wheel on will affect the handling and ride. Wheel weights are dependent on how they are made and therefore usually dependant on price. Cheaper wheels are usually heavy and vice versa, but not always!
I would stay away from replicas as most are made in China and are not very well made. There are some good replicas out there, but you can't tell just from looking. I would recommend a well known brand who can offer you a good warranty, also usually these will not be overly heavy as well.
If you are really into the performance side you can get bigger wheels that are lighter than the originals which will improve acceleration, braking and handling and still look good.
Un-sprung weight is usually the equivalent of 4-6 times sprung weight. On a Porsche Carrera by swapping to carbon fibre wheels you get performance gains equivalent to 44bhp!!

I hope this helps, take a look at our site and let me know if I can offer any more advice.

John.

Thanks. Never thought there was so much to consider!! I'll check your site and get back to you. Much appreciated.