Handling Problems

tony99

Reaction score
Here is a question my Audi dealer doesn't want to answer.

I have an A4 1.8T SE Y2001 plate. Running 205/55 R16 91W Michellin Pilot Premacy tyres.

My problems are these;
1 - Car is very sensitive to tyre pressures, if out by more than 1psi car will pull.
2 - When braking on uneven surfaces or on surfaces with large chippings the car pulls left and right following even small undulations or reacting to any amount of grip difference. This produces a squirming feeling through the steering wheel which is unnerving, especially when the surface doesn't look that bad anyway.
3 - The car feels twitchy over small bumps, especially in the wet, feels like the tyres are pumped up way too hard.

Audi insist the steering geometry is correct and that no bushing have worn, although I was getting a rummbling noise on hot days last summer which they couldn't track down.

Has anyone had any expereince similar to this? I'm beginning to think that it is down to the tyres as I have seem a few reviews slatting the Michellins.

Thanks

Tony

have you checked your drop links as they make rumbling noises when worn.

Had this on my old car......looked fine etc, garage replaced them in the end after many days of testing and found them to be the fault.

Thanks Mike. I'll get the links checked out.

Tyres can produce some really weird effects. If you can't find anything mechanical then I'm afraid you're only left with replacing the tyres.

The Pirreli P zeros on my RS4 are terrible for following undulations in the road and you have to be prepared for the car attempting to wander when braking and accelerating or crossing white lines etc.