Suspension questions

sharma

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a diesel Audi A3 1.9tdi (2002). I have put a set of 18 inch rs6 wheels on the car and am looking at upgrading the suspension. The ride is slightly harsher with the 18 inch wheels as i was on 15 inch wheels. I want to lower the suspension but i do not want the ride to become too harsh and bumpy.

Do you guys think with 40mm it will become too bumpy? Does it depend on the quality of the springs, if so which ones are best to go for? And does it make a difference if i change just the springs, the whole suspension or get coilovers?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi, there isn't much point in spendin out more on coilovers, as they are specifically for setting up suspension for a track event (unless you're going to do those :) ). Go with coils and dampers for the quality/price.

Thanks for that info. I don't think i will go for coilovers. However in terms of ride quality whats the difference between buying just lowering springs and using the exsisting shocks, and buying the whole suspension kit?

(I have a 1.9tdi thats done 77,000 miles).

Your current shocks will be pretty past there best now so if you just put lowering springs on the shocks won't be able to take the extra pressure and your ride will go from bad to worse. Get a match springs and shocks set and you'll be on your way to getting the cars handling alot better. Definately worth the extra for springs and shocks.

Ok i will probably go ahead with a set of shocks and springs. However is it the height which makes the car bumpier or is it the quality of the shocks? By good quality shocks does it mean the car is not as bumpy?

It's both really, if you go too low then there's not going to be much of a spring and it will be more compressed and if you get a poor quality kit then it's probabley going to be a poor ride anyway. Hope this helps.

Thanks for your help. I have had a look at your website. How much would you charge for fitting one of your kits?