ET 45? ET35? DIFFERENCE?

vw754

vorsprung Durch Technik
Reaction score
what is the difference ET35 and ET45?
My car has the audi 5 star alloys on 17" they state et35 on the inside of the rim,i need one wheel as it is slightly buckled but ive been offered 1 that has an offset of et 45 instead of the et35 i need.

Also i by mistake i purchased a brand new wheel same as i need which was ET56 which i was told will not fit as it will catch,its brand new and currently for sale on e-bay if anyone's interested

GENUINE,BOXED AND BRANDNEW 50 QUID ! Item number: 320105199501

ET is just the offset. Imagine you are looking down on the top of the tyre; a wheel with a ET of 0 is exactly in the middle of the mounting plane (where the nuts go into). The bigger the ET number the more 'inwards' the tyre is.

Changing ET changes the track, and also messes about with the suspension and steering geometry. 10 mm isn't a /massive/ change though. However, having different ET on different sides of the car, would probably be a bad thing.

i like my wheels level with the arch,i.e not sticking out of the arch like some drivers,at the moment et35's are on the car which look good,is this the rite et for the a4 (b6)? so basically if et 45's were fitted they would sit more inside the arch rather than level with the arch?

you are correct. the higher the offset the further in the wheel sits

I would like to know what ET my wheels are....should it say on them? If not is there anyway that i can measure them? What is the ET Measured in any idea?

I'm looking at getting wider tyres this time round, but i need to know what ET mines are so i can check that they wont catch.

ET should be stamped on the wheel somewhere.

ET is the distance from the centre line of the wheel to the mounting face, measured in mm.

When going to wider wheels you normally have to decrease your offset to ensure they dont catch on the strut.

Reactions: fanta
I prepared this drawing to explain ET for 8P Audi RS3 owners; just substitute your own measurements:
ET 80J

Hope this helps...

http://www.willtheyfit.com/

what is the difference ET35 and ET45?
My car has the audi 5 star alloys on 17" they state et35 on the inside of the rim,i need one wheel as it is slightly buckled but ive been offered 1 that has an offset of et 45 instead of the et35 i need.

Also i by mistake i purchased a brand new wheel same as i need which was ET56 which i was told will not fit as it will catch,its brand new and currently for sale on e-bay if anyone's interested