CANT GET WHEEL NUTS OFF !! NEED TO FIT NEW RS6 ALLOYS

AUDI@WRC

hows my driving call 0800-EAT-****
Reaction score
hello i just got a set of 18" rs6 alloys for my a4 avant 1.8 t but i cant undo the wheel nuts ? they are extremelly TIGHT ! any suggetions on how to loose them ? :sos:

I have just had the same problem last week. I got a puncture on the way to DPM and couldn't shift them.

Damian and the fitter managed to undo most of them using a 5 foot bar for leverage but even that wasn't easy. The locking wheels nuts I had to get removed by a tyre place.

If they are anything like mine you are going to need an impact wrench or something to budge them. Applying heat could work but is likely to ****** the alloys you are removing.

I had similar problems when I had my Mk4 GTi. It was always dealer serviced and the muppets used the impact air gun to replace the wheels.
Result was.... when i had a puncture at the side of the road I could not remove the wheel. Had to be recoved as the AA man couldn't remove them either.

In the end I had to get them drilled out which cost a fortune.

Needless to say I sent the bill to the VW garage who actually did refund my money. i was told that the 'technicians' should have used a torque wrench but obviously the air gun was quicker!

But the time lost and inconvienience was still at my expense.

AUDI@WRC said:
hello i just got a set of 18" rs6 alloys for my a4 avant 1.8 t but i cant undo the wheel nuts ? they are extremelly TIGHT ! any suggetions on how to loose them ? :sos:

sod all that... whose the chick in your avatar!?

:hubbahubba:

Aluminimum Alloys & Iron Alloys are not going to mix on any metallurigical level without causing some reactive corrosion that will eventually lead to not being able to remove your wheels.

Quick Tip:

When you acquire a car take off the wheels, apply a lithium based grease to the wheel bolts (not too much, apply and remove most with a cloth) this help to prevent the inter-metallic corrosion taking place and make them easier to remove in future.

Remember to still torque them up to the Manufacturers recommendations etc.

i'd use a 3 foot breaker bar with a good quality socket or an impact gun socket, then if needed slide a section of tube over that to extend furthur, becareful using impact guns, especially on locking wheel nuts.