A6 4.2 Drivers Side Front Knocking Noise

cg084

Reaction score
All,

I was on my way home last night and went around a roudabout relatively fast. As i came of the roundabout and straightened up i heard a loud clunk sounded like it came from drivers side front. It was a single clunk sounded like it was something on the suspension i felt it too on the footwell floor. As i continued to drive i did not hear the noise again til i was accelerating and the car went in to kick down or when i used the tiptronic for some engine braking. The noise does not happen all the time. Ive noticed the same this morning when going over speed bumps. There is no noise going up the bump but was there when coming off the bump. I was not going fast over these bumps.

Its really strange as its not a series of knocks its just one. Klunp. Then nothing. Its not there when driving steady just when i kick down go round a left corner at a quick speed, decelerate using the gears and coming off a speed bump.

I can see nothing and there appears to be no play in the wheel itself. Does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers.

All,

I got under the car whipped the wheels off tried to see if there was any play. None all bolts tight as they should be. No rubbers seem to be split. No leaks nothing.

Am lost for ideas. If it was an engine mounting i would assume it to be there all the time even on a straight. I have flung the car around a few times. Braked sharply. Swerved at speed. Nothing. Even gone down the same roads at the same speed. Nothing. I was under the car for ages with an inspection lamp. Felt everything shook everything. Even shook the exhaust. That was firmly in place and nothing fouling anything.

Will post back again if i find anything.

Hi All,

I have a 2002 A6 1.8T Quattro - and 100% same problem as you described below.

It only happens when you fist set off and somtimes slow down. It has been into a garage and they have heard the sound but to date they cannot tell me what it is... have you had a responce / answer for the knocking?