Michelin Cup Sports (semi-slicks) on A Daily Driver??

leecs3

thinking about stuff
Reaction score
Considering a set of these (as fitted to M3 CSL) on my S3 daily driver but just how tricky are they in the wet??. I've driven on the track on slicks but never semi slicks so very interested to know if they are reasonably competent in the wet on real roads where there isn't a wet line to take advantage of.

I've no direct experience, but I remember EVO magazine had a CSL on test and they said that after parking the car on a hot day you moved off again with the top of the road surface. Thunk. Thunk. Thunk. :)

Once up to temperature, they are fine in the damp...but they are dire is standing water.
No use on an everyday road car in my view....too many downsides for not enough gains.

Most CSL users keep them for summer tyres and track tyres only. I swapped the PS2's on my CSL for Eagle GSD3s at the start of December because the PS2s are twitchy, no way would I consider leaving cups on!!

Seriously, everyone who says they will keep the cups on during winter all end up regretting it. :)

gizze said:
Most CSL users keep them for summer tyres and track tyres only. I swapped the PS2's on my CSL for Eagle GSD3s at the start of December because the PS2s are twitchy, no way would I consider leaving cups on!!

Seriously, everyone who says they will keep the cups on during winter all end up regretting it. :)

cheers. Nice to hear from someone who's driven on them. I'll probably get them for my spare wheels and save them for trackdays. Driven in the wet on slicks and found they works better in rainfall (by 2secs a lap) than wet (but no rain) which was a complete surprise. Hence hoped to get away with semi-slicks with the added bonus of the S3 being 4WD.