New brake pads for A6 Avant 2.5 V6 TDI Sport

I've had very good results with ebc greenstuff. Had squealing for the first 200 miles, now ok.

Stop car very well, works from stone cold, cost about the same as oe pads. Dust is a light grey and much easier to clean as it doesn't seem to weld itself on to the alloys.

Removed all 4 wheels this weekend to see which of the pads was setting off the warning lights, and almost part of my thumb too as all of the caliper bolts bar one are seized. (Nurse at local hospital all sympathy once she realised the Saturday night deep cut was not drink related). The rear pads are completely trashed but are not wired up, the front pads which are setting off the DIS warning light have still got 4-5mm left. Regular inspection required there. I also found that the security bolt from the left rear was missing, which goes some way to explaining the persistent vibration since the tyres were changed. Whether this is cack handed Kwikfit not retightening the bolt after the tyres were replaced, or the bolt was missing and they never told me i cannot prove, but i am mightily pi22ed off.
I think heating up the bolts is probably the only way top get them undone, but as eveything is soaked in penetrating oil now and i'm one handed for the week, it'll have to wait.

New pads fitted Wednesday, bought replacement parts from Euro Car Parts in Edinburgh, no special make. Bedding in slowly, discovered that i don't brake that much during most driving. Pistons wound back so far to get new pads in had to remove some brake fluid from the master reservoir, had been topped up previously. Yes i did remember to unscrew the top of the reservoir before pushing them back. As i am chasing worn out bits (bearing cv joint N75 tyres brakes) around the car i now expect that once the pads are fully scrubbed in that i will find the car squirming around under proper braking because the shocks are knackered. Also got replacement security wheel bolt Friday night for £12 from Audi Edinburgh who posted it to me c/w new adapter. Put it on and had a quick whizz round, it seems the vibration is less. Still can't believe Kwikfit didn't put all the bolts back in.

Pads now fully bedded in, but brake dust over front wheels is terrible. Thats Texstar for you , but I`ll be forking out the extra £15 or so for Greenstuff or similar next time I think . The rears, ATE, are not so bad.
They certainly perform OK, and I'm not getting any brake fade even in sustained use. £63 for all 4 wheels, I'll post on how long they last.

OK, 26000 miles later and front brake pads have just been replaced, but warning light has been on for at least 2000 miles. New pads are Ferodo and still bedding in. Brake dust from Texstar did reduce but I would not recommend them.

Finding myself less than impressed with the Ferodos. Worst case so far I had cause to stand on the brakes last saturday from about 125 when someone coming the other way decided to overtake. I was almost into the layby to avoid them. There is little feel to the brakes, it feels you are just not getting hold of the discs and they are sliding between the pads. There seems to be little increase in retardation as I press harder and harder onto the pedal. I'd got down to about 60 when the ABS started to come in but it was taking far too long to slow up.

Im thinking of using the green stuff next and getting some vented disks whilst im at it!

Just over 200 nicker for new pads and disks upfront!

hi mate
i have been through the same thing with brake pads and i have found that audi pads are the best. they even held out on a track day
cheers bod:thumbsup:

Now extensively used and abused they are significantly better, especially when they are hot and / or it is dry. Braking from speed on cold pads and discs eg after a period on the motorway without use, takes a second or so before they really start to bite and i need to press hard on the pedal so tailgating is not recommended. When they are hot eg giving it plenty down a twisty road they are fine, much less pressure required. Brake dust on the wheels is not too bad, but there is still plenty to wash off each week.

i asked my mechanic what he thought of the greenstuff and he said they arent worth the money you pay for them so i am going to stick with the OEM. Does 400 nicker sound about right for pads and discs all round?

Going up the M5 last friday the front end on the A6 went into a major wobble, no flat tyre. Trundled to next junction along hard shoulder with horrendous wobble, turned into layby to park up, nasty knocking noise from front nearside. Aye aye thats the CV joint gone i thought. Hello mr AA man. Garage now agrees with me, and also pointed out my brake discs are also knacked and i need new pads at the next service in 3k. Never rains but it pours eh? Still the CV joint has done 71k, the ATE rear pads have done 65k so far and the Ferodo fronts 43k, and the discs have done 83k since i bought it, i've never replaced them.

I have just replaced all four discs and pads at 194000 miles with standard VAG parts. Braking still bedding in but much improved, having to be careful not to step too hard on the pedal.

Outbraked an M5 into a roundabout the other night, ok we are not talking race track conditions here but he had tried to lose me a couple of times. So i'd say the OE brake discs and pads are fine. And no he didn't get me back either

Lol I bet he was gutted!

So you are currently running OEM pads and discs then, do you think they are the the best for performance/braking efficiency? What about the amount of brake dust?

The OE pads are better than the Texstar, ATE and Ferodo i have used so far. I am assuming that the discs i had were the originals or an OE replacement set fitted before i bought it. The combination of OE pads and discs is the best i have had so far. Brake dust is unnoticeable so far compared with the Texstar which were terrible and the Ferodos which were bad to start with, got better but still needed washing off every week.

Due to the trials and tribulations suffered over the last 12 months i've only done about 11000 miles since the brakes were done, so i was a bit concerned that the braking performance has dropped right off. I'm booked in for monday to have the poor braking and now nasty noises coming from the front end looked at.

Apparently i've fried the front brakes. The discs are blued and the pads are shagged. Rear pads not much better. Garage asked have i thought about getting S6 brakes? well yes but can't afford them. So new front discs and pads all round then.