OE v Replica's

Shadowman

Reaction score
I am really keen to change the wheels on my A4 but the O.E ones I like are just stupidly expensive. I wanted to keep with O.E equipment simply because I am a bit funny about things like that and have always tried to keep with standard wheels because I figure they will be better quality and will have been designed specifically for the car.

Am I just wasting money holding on for O.E's and should I therefore not be afraid of replica wheels ? Lots of you guys have bought reps.....what are your experiences and is there somewhere that you can recommend that will supply good quality wheels which still look as good as the O.E's ?

I think there will definitely be a weight difference with some of the replica's being heavy.
That said, there are many types of replica's now, and I hear the better ones are from Germany & Italy, whereas the not so good are from China. Whether or not they are stamped with this is a different matter.

The key thing is you can't just say OE vs Rep as some reps are crap and some are very good. My last two sets of reps have actually been 1lb lighter than OE.

The big advantage of OE is that you know what you're getting....but you do pay a lot for that!

OK, how about Rondell, anyone heard good or bad about them ?

Also, will I have to resort to 225/40 18's if I buy rep's because they will have an ET of 35 as opposed to ET43 for the O.E s-line wheels, in order to not rub against things, or will I still be able to put on 235/40's ?

I know the lower ET will mean that the wheel will be about 1cm further toward the outside wheelarch, but presumably the wheel itself being 1/2 inch wider will negate this.

I am starting to confuse myself now !!!!
Basically, anyone with the RS reps, what tyres do you run ?

thanks

Replicas do not necessarily mean you get an offset of 35. All replicas are not the same.

Never heard of Rondell. Ronal make wheels for Audi but I've not heard of Rondell.

Try this : HERE to work out the effect of changing the width/offset etc.

Thanks Scotty, that table is perfect .

I only said ET35 because the reps I am looking at are all ET35.

I am told ( admittedly by them ) that they make wheels for Audi in Germany but are not allowed by them to sell exact specification copies to the European market and therefore, they changed the offset which means that they can then sell them.

Probably rubbish but there you go.