Goodyear F1 GSD3 experience

heavyoil

Reaction score
Hi,
I've had a set of GY F1 GSD3 on my 2002 A4 Avant TDI 130 for the last 15000 miles and they're begining to get close to the TWI. The wear is especially noticeable on the in and out side edges of the tyres. I run the front 4 psi more than book value and the rear 1 more, as I find it gives better balance.

I reckon they'll be down to the TWI by May/June, which coincides nicely with MOT time.

Have you had similar mileage out of these types of tyres ?

Is the in and outside wear typical ?

Suspension is standard SE, not sports.

Thanks

Inside and outside wear would indicate your tyre pressures are too low, but you have pointed out that they are not, heavy cornering would wear the outer tyre edges out quicker, not sure about the inner edges though.

Are you checking the tyre pressures before driving? Get a good pressure guage - garage ones are notoriously inaccurate.

[ QUOTE ]
Inside and outside wear would indicate your tyre pressures are too low, but you have pointed out that they are not, heavy cornering would wear the outer tyre edges out quicker, not sure about the inner edges though.

[/ QUOTE ]

yup hard cornering will wear out the shoulders too.

I've got my own tyre pressure gauge, one from Halfords thats came top in one of the autoexpress reviews. So its supposed to be accurate, but I haven't compared it to a calibrated gauge ...

hard cornering you say ? that could be it then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The wear is much more pronounced on the front passenger side.

I'll get an alignment check when I get new tyres.

Cheers!

Front passenger side = too many too fast roundabouts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

p.s. This is a major problem is you live in Milton Keynes! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

whilst browsing on ebay I came across a set of a4 sportline 17" alloys complete with pirelli rosso tyres with decent tread left, the chap had upgraded to a set of 19" A8 style wheels, so now I'll be using the pirelli rosso. I'll report on what they're like when I use hem for a few miles.

[ QUOTE ]
whilst browsing on ebay I came across a set of a4 sportline 17" alloys complete with pirelli rosso tyres with decent tread left, the chap had upgraded to a set of 19" A8 style wheels, so now I'll be using the pirelli rosso. I'll report on what they're like when I use hem for a few miles.

[/ QUOTE ]

From the old rosso asymetrical jobbies I had that cost about £140 a tyre the goodyears are MUCH better and much cheaper - especially when you really want them to be better like on the limit and in the wet but others have said the F1s are rubbish - guess it's all down to personal choice!

I have found F1 very good till they wear down to less than 3mm. Also I found the the wear pattern strange, on both the inside and outside edges of the front nearside.

When cold, <5degrees they seem not to work very well, eg slipping on full lock, when pulling away, say out of a car park space.

I've noticed a few other people have noticed this. It was so bad, I had the car checked out, we were suspecting the cv joints!

I have also noiticed that they do not like the cold. Need to run them down the road for 5 mins before they get sticky.

Done 10,000 in mine and they are about 4mm left on them

Mine are slightly worn on the shoulders, but thats cornering for you

I have also noticed that they do not like the cold. Need to run them down the road for 5 mins before they get sticky.

Considering I drive everywhere at warp 9 isn't too bad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I have also noiticed that they do not like the cold. Need to run them down the road for 5 mins before they get sticky.

I have also noticed that they do not like the cold. Need to run them down the road for 5 mins before they get sticky.

Considering I drive everywhere at warp 9 isn't too bad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Twice hey... good work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I agree when they are very cold, but I'm always taking it easy when the car is cold so it's not a problem and they seem to warm up before the engine.

I just got Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s fitted today.

I will report my findings (if I remember!)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Twice hey... good work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I agree when they are very cold, but I'm always taking it easy when the car is cold so it's not a problem and they seem to warm up before the engine.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what you get for using the spell checker badly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

Guess I'll leave the typos in next time

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Well mine have lasted a good 30k and the wear is perfect all round, first impressions were scary as I power slided out of National Tyres after swapping from Rosso's, I had all the tracking re-set at the same time so this may be why they lasted so long as I aint no sunday driver!

I agree they don't like the cold, takes a good 20 minuites or so to get max grip but once they are warm they are very good.

Road noise isn't as bad as some of the other makes.

30k??? from a set of F1s?? flippin eck...

Mine lasted better than the PS2s, but not as long as the Contis.. Contis 17k, Ps2s 12.5k, F1s about 15 or so..

agree that they are quieter, they are definately better in the wet than the PS2s.. I was happy enough to replace them with the same again!

Hello

Where caN you get the best prices for Goodyears F1 tyres I am in the midlands

Brittania IN coventry or nuneaton! i Like F1's they're the best ive run on so far!

I'm running Michelin Pilots and love them!

Never tried the Goodyears though.

I have 4 nearly new Eagle F1's for sale if anyone is interested....? 225/45/ZR/17

Loads of tread left on them, I'm running 18's now so no use for 17's!!

Drop me a PM if Interested, looking for around £230 for the set, grab yourself a total bargain as they are normally £100 each!!

HI Folks

Looking for recommendations to replace the Conti Sport Contact 2 on our TDI 130 Sport. They'll be done by around 15-16K which is pretty pants. I'm looking for a bit more mileage out of the replacements

Always had good experience with Bridgestone RE720s on our Bora V5 but not sure how they'd wear with the TDI torque. Anyone used RE050?

TIA
Dave

HI I got 4 Goodyear eagle f1's (235/45/17) from Event tyres. They came to my house, fitted and balanced with a valve for £401

Any good you think ?

well, im nearing the treadwear with my f1's and my verdict is the F1's are better than the PZero's I had on previously
Grip is superb even in wet, not too noisy (had nosier) and they have all worn fairly evenly and lasted over 30k
The only downside is they dont really perform as well in cold weather for the first half hour of driving

Time to start shopping round for some fresh F1's

Mike,
which pzero ?

I had F1, now the car is on pzero rosso. very nice, works well even when stone cold. to me the rossos seem better, but then I'm comparing them with worn F1 in the cold ....

Well I'd just like to add something to my otherwise shameless praise for them...

I drove 250 miles back yesterday in some of the worst rain I've ever driven through and my car felt planted the whole way no problem at all even when hitting patches of standing water it was fantastic, as I've just said in another thread out of the tyres I've tried nothing beats them and they are cheaper too!

[ QUOTE ]
I just got Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s fitted today.

I will report my findings (if I remember!)

[/ QUOTE ]

I have these tyres and are quite good but feel the F1's are better in the wet.

Yes I agree the F1's are good, I went to Germany in Feb and it was really crap weather all the way there and back, in some places it was -15 and not one twitch, I would definately reccommend F1's.

Mine are reaching the treadwear, where's the cheapest place??

I've just done 20 odd laps in the p1ssing rain at the 'ring. I've tried PS2s, ContiSport2's and F1's and I wouldn't have wanted to be on any other tyres that the F1's. They clear the water really well.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Same question? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Same question? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto,

GB anyone, lol

would be interested in a GB too... depending on discount negotiated...

Decided in the end to go for the Michelin Pilot Sport 2's. Only had them on a week and so far am pretty happy with their performance in the wet and dry. Infinitely better than those avon ZZ3 which when were getting changed 2 of them had splits on the tyre wall one about 7" and the other one on the inside of the tyre wall out of view which covered nearly half of the wheel!
PS2's Grip very well in cornering and under braking but still bedding them in.

F1's are a softer compound IIRC, they do get much stickier than some other tyres, ran them on mine for 5-6 miles before I sold it, didn't find them great in the wet and/or cold, but hot and dry they were scary! they never let go!
I wouldn't pay £100 each for them though.
I paid £220 for four fitted (they were 15's though).
Wouldn't buy them from any of the bigger places. that is just throwing money away.
I use blackcircles.com and get them fitted by the nearest agency fitter. super cheap.

Hi all

A quick question, What tyre pressures are you running?

At the moment I am running 34 all round is this low/ high/ or ok?

Any help/ advice much appreciated !!!!!

have a peep inside your petrol cap,should have data there
some go under these to get more grip but suppose you would have to try them out
PS I run f1 eagles at 30 psi

voorhees said:
have a peep inside your petrol cap,should have data there
some go under these to get more grip but suppose you would have to try them out
PS I run f1 eagles at 30 psi

Bit low for 18's hey?