ABS & ESP issue - 52 plate A4

eddie snax

Reaction score
Hi all, the ABS & ESP malfunction warning lights are coming on and staying on, though if I stop and depress the ESP switch a couple off times, and then turn off engine then restart, the warning lights go off, for a while anyway. havent had the wheels off yet, but a look at pads through wheels, they look to have plenty off wear left. Braking feels totaly stable, and traction control seems to works as or when required.

Any ideas ?

Hi, welcome to audi-sport.net. Have you had a vcds scan done to see if any fault codes show up?

Hi, welcome to audi-sport.net. Have you had a vcds scan done to see if any fault codes show up?

Hi, No I have not as yet, does this have to be done at an Audi garage, only dealt with an Audi garage once when a P reg A4 I had, had immobiliser problem, ran that car for 9 years, replaced it last year with the 52 plate. this car seems to be somewhat more electronic, and less analoge. was wondering if this was a common fault and if so was there a basic solution.

​Where are you located. We have a vcds map with cale holders in most areas. One of he guys will scan your car for faults for a few beer tokens. :) x

​Where are you located. We have a vcds map with cale holders in most areas. One of he guys will scan your car for faults for a few beer tokens. :) x

Yeah I'm in Cromer Norfolk, a bit off the beaten track. but that would be cool.

just had this fault (very intermittent) after changing discs and pads. turn car off and it goes away for 20-30 miles....hmmmmmm.

Forgot to add if your pads are low it flashes up a kind of circle in brackets symbol on the DIS (Main info screen). If there is a problem with your braking system it will it will throw up an illumated sign along with the ABS symbol. As you have the same problem as me its basically just your ABS system thats got a fault and it shows up ESP as well because they are linked (It explains in the hanbook if you have it to hand) Mine has just done the same as yours after changing my discs and pads,so i have cleaned up all the connections and will see if that sorts it. The ABS monitors the speed of the driven hubs iirc. Then works its magic if a certain wheel is rotating a certain amount of rpms less than speedo speed as it assumes this wheels is about to lock up. so its more than likely a sensor.

Eddie, Taking wheels off and spraying every elctical connection i could find with electical cleaning spray has done the trick!! did 100 miles yesterday with no sign of that ****** ABS + ESP light :)