moved from Michelin PS2s to Eagle F1 GSD3 - initial thoughts

• Thread starter imported_CurryMilkShake
  • Start date
I

imported_CurryMilkShake

Original Continentals - I felt were reasonable, not exciting, bit noisy, but a generally competent tyre, in both wet/dry, but thought I could do better. They lasted just over 18k the set.

Changed them for Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s - quieter for sure, and I felt they were much better than the continentals in the dry, wasnt convinced they were as much better in the wet, but overall a quieter tyre with improved handling. Wear rate for the cost was scary though - they only just made it to 12.5k for the set of four!

Have replaced them about 500m ago with Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3, after several folks here reccomended them as a good move from the Michelin. (Thanks ScoTTy in particular)

However - I confess I'm not convinced yet, though the difference is significant - They are definately LOADS quieter than the Michelin, and even the Mrs commented on a 'smoother' ride.. But - I dont think I have as much steering 'feel' as before, and while theres been no squealing, no suggestion that I wont make it round a corner, I dont feel as confident with them as i did the PS2s - Used to really chuck the car about, and I find I am hesitating to do that now, because of how the steering feels.. more 'isolated' perhaps, from whats going on on the road.. very stable for sure, and no corner yet has been a problem, just, well, you know, a bit vague.

I've heard people comment before (in audi vs others chats) on poor steering feel in Audis. I never agreed with that until now, hadnt realised how much diff the tyres obviously can make to that!

anyway - have started to play around with tyre pressures to se if that helps at all, would be interested to know from anyone else with F1s - do you run them at the upper or lower end of the pressure ranges? 95% of my time I am alone.. the remaining 5% the car is packed full!

Maybe I just have to get used to them..

Thanks

Patience!!

I should have warned you that for the first 2-300 mile they seem to need to bed in.

Also they are definately pressure sensitive. I've not found it as bad on my S4 but on the TT I could tell if if was just 1psi out. It's good though as it forces you to check the pressures regularly especially when the weather changes.

Stick with them. I'm sure you'll be happy...but wait until they're bedded in before giving them loads of grief. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Patience!!

I should have warned you that for the first 2-300 mile they seem to need to bed in.

Also they are definately pressure sensitive. I've not found it as bad on my S4 but on the TT I could tell if if was just 1psi out. It's good though as it forces you to check the pressures regularly especially when the weather changes.

Stick with them. I'm sure you'll be happy...but wait until they're bedded in before giving them loads of grief. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd agree with ScoTTy CurryMilkShake. F1's on my old S3 took about 1500-2000 miles before they really got grippy and after that you could chuck the car into any corner and no squeal at all. Also excellent for powering out of corners and in the wet, better than anything I'd tried on any car before; even got to the point of hassling Exiges out of corners (in the dry) and having to back off. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

Combined with super quiet road noise levels and good wear I'd stick with them. Funny, I only had to check pressures every fortnight eith myself predominantly the only one in the car. Fronts and rears half way between minimum and fully loaded pressures, worked a treat.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

OK, feeling reassured now! Thanks guys..

Enjoyed a bit of a blast tonight, one upside of living in an area full of many twisty roads is, well, living in an area full of many twisty roads! Confidence is gaining.. no hint at all of lack of adhesion, it could just be im not getting the warning 'tremors' that im used to, of the limit being approached.. bear in mind unlike you guys its more about cornering grip for me, than it is about getting vast dollops of power laid down.. even with the remap im still only around 170Bhp.. but I do love those corners!

thanks for the encouragement - I will be patient! currrently running nearer the upper (loaded) pressure..

i went from Mitchelin Pilot Sport 1, to GY Eagle F1 GSD3, and i dont see what all the hypes about apart from being cheaper.

i prefer my old Mitchelins.

When it comes to replacement, illl most likely go back to Mitchelin.

fair enough, have done about 1500m on them now, and am very much happier, in fact have regained ALL confidence, and chucking it about plenty.. lets see what the wear is like, but the handling in the wet is MUCH better IMO.. quieter too, so at this point, I would say they were a worthy change..

I have full set of F1's 225/40/18 on mine and i cant complain at all great for holding the road

Just out of curiousity what tyre pressure do you guys sit at when tyres are cold?

Also 36psi all round.. had been playing with the pressures, havent tried higher, but am happy with how things are at the mo..

(wheels are original 5 star 17", tyres are original size 235/45/17s)

I had Michelins P6000's on my car when I purchased it.
Horrible road noise, sounded like wheel bearing had gone! Took it to Audi to get bearings checked and all ok.

tyres needed changing, so i opted to go back to Continentals.

I now have Conty Contact Sport tyres on (205/55/16) and the 'bearing' noise dissappeared, overall a much quieter ride, improved handling, love to throw it about.

i actually like the 'tyre squeel' when really pushing the car....a bit of an indicator on exactly how FAR i am pushing it.

However, alot of people are reconmending the F1's.
Mine are due again for another change, got 21k out my CCS tyres. paid £228 for four fitted (Knew a person who works in tyre wharehouse)

What kind of price would people expect to pay for the F1 tyres and roughly how long have they lasted? i appreciate different driving habits will alter the lifespan.

Cheers,

Dan

They do squeal, your just not going fast enough, to get my GSD3s in my S3 to squeal I have to be really going for it in 2nd on a roundabout, pretty much all other times they just grip and get on with it, great all round tyre and great in the wet!

got mine for £85 inc vat fitted each so there is no comparison to the daylight robbery michelin or pirelli charge and there better than any other tyre I've tried!

Dan,

If you get the GSD3s, please post your opinions - I'll need 4 new tyres in a few k and don't rate the Michelin Pilot Primacy's that are on the car in the wet, although wear seems to be OK.

[ QUOTE ]
Also 36psi all round.. had been playing with the pressures, havent tried higher, but am happy with how things are at the mo..

(wheels are original 5 star 17", tyres are original size 235/45/17s)

[/ QUOTE ]

Curry, im suprised ur running that size tyre on 17's arnt they meant to be 225/45/17's like on mine??
Also 36psi seems really high if u ask me, i run mine 28psi front and 30psi rear, this cuts most of the understeer as much as it can, IICR standard psi is 32 all round... correct me if im wrong plz

just my 2ps worth hehe

Hi Slug

235/45/17 was the original fitment size on my car, I havent changed it at all - I assume thats one difference between A3 and A4?

Ive done about 9000 miles on them now.. I think they are wearing better than the Michelins, but not significantly so - however my opinions on the drive havent varied, theyve been very consistent, so I will definately stick to the GSD3s when they are replaced!

I have the Eagle F1 GSD3 on my 3.2 A3 after wearing the continentals out at 10,000 miles...

I find that they are wicked in the wet, fairly hard wearing, and as good as most I've had in the dry.

I have found that hey don't like being cold, have had a few interesting moments at the roundabout 30 secs down the road, but after a couple of mins they are cool (or should that be hot....)

Would recommend them and will definately have them again.

I think the wear is very good, I have about 6mm left after 8000, and I do throw it about.