Which suspension set-up is better?

Defratos

You’re Dethpicable!!
Reaction score
Website
00626e1.netsolhost.com
Hey guys, hope someone actually looks at this post since it's in a different section "handling". Anyway, I've heard some one on here say that this is probably the best set-up for an S3:

H&R Springs
Blistein dampers
Forge adjustable arms
Nuespeed ARBs

Now, what about:

Koni coil-over setup (fully adjustable, height and damper adjustment)
Forge adjustable arms
and Nuespeed ARBS (front and rear)

any comments?

ha yeah i get the feeling these other sections dont get much of a viewing compared to the s3 section.

havent tried either but heard the coilovers can be a bit hard for everyday use.

personally when i upgrade mine im going with H&R and bilstein with adj tie bars and r32 rear ARB

Yeah, I heard that as well. Reason is that's what my bro has on his Golf mk4 (4 motion). and AMD and others told him the same, that for everyday use it will be a bit hard. But he wanted track performance as well, and the harshness doesn't bother me that much anymore. Would you say that the H&R with Blistein would differ in handeling quality? and are they fully adjustable like the Koni?

I know what works and works very well. Several people have tried the H&R, Bilstein, Neuspeed combination and been satisfied with it. In the face of such convincing evidence why try other things?

Sure you can make alterations cheaper, but a false economy if the handling is sub standard.

And no matter how many times you tell people not to modify just the rear roll bar, they keep on going... Groan.

[ QUOTE ]

And no matter how many times you tell people not to modify just the rear roll bar, they keep on going... Groan.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps when some of these people write their cars off due to snap unloading of the overly large rear ARB...miss-matched roll stiffnesses...or ill judged damping rates, we will hear people taking advice.

From one who has lost a great car due to an overly large rear ARB, missmatched roll stiffnesses and ill judged damping rates...I would rather people don't go through the same thing.

But hey, it saves tham a few hundred quid in the short-term.
Bravo.

[ QUOTE ]

Perhaps when some of these people write their cars off due to snap unloading of the overly large rear ARB...miss-matched roll stiffnesses...or ill judged damping rates, we will hear people taking advice.

From one who has lost a great car due to an overly large rear ARB, missmatched roll stiffnesses and ill judged damping rates...I would rather people don't go through the same thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm looking to improve the handling on my 2002 A4 TDI SE.

Are you saying that I should not be fitting a rear arb from say a sport suspension model (22mm?) as I believe mine doesn't have one in the first place ?

or are you referring to people who fit 28mm Neuspeed one for example ?

I'm looking also looking at setting up some -ve camber at the front by the use of Kmac eccentric bolts.

I think my car will benefit from, wait for it ................... softer springs ! initially and stronger at more compression with more rebound damping and less compression damping. Thats how I have set up my bike and to me me it feels better.

did a bit more reading, SE has a 16mm rear arb, sport 18mm and S4 22mm.

IYO would a 18 or 22mm be of benefit ?

[ QUOTE ]
did a bit more reading, SE has a 16mm rear arb, sport 18mm and S4 22mm.

IYO would a 18 or 22mm be of benefit ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes...but I'd make sure your dampers are up to the job of controlling it...the standard stuff won't be, in my opinion.

I'm unsure of the dynamics of the 2002 A4 suspension...but adding some front negative camber should help out...