Calipers - why are some to the front & others to the back of the disc?

IanL-RS3

Reaction score
I know i promised not to ask silly questions..but....here we go again.

I for some reason thought that the calipers were always positioned to the front of the car on the front discs ,however today i noticed a jag xk8 with the calipers towards the back of the car on the front discs.

Is there any techy geeky reason for this? or does it not really matter and i should go and find something more interesting to concern myself with.

Cheers

[ QUOTE ]

I for some reason thought that the calipers were always positioned to the front of the car on the front discs ,however today i noticed a jag xk8 with the calipers towards the back of the car on the front discs.

Is there any techy geeky reason for this? or does it not really matter and i should go and find something more interesting to concern myself with.

Cheers

[/ QUOTE ]

It really makes no difference... If you think about it the discs is moving the same direction no matter where the calliper is and the force will be the same no matter where it is also. The A4/S4/RS4/A6/S6/RS6 has the callipers on the rear also

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Cheers

[/ QUOTE ]

It really makes no difference... If you think about it the discs is moving the same direction no matter where the calliper is and the force will be the same no matter where it is also. The A4/S4/RS4/A6/S6/RS6 has the callipers on the rear also

[/ QUOTE ]

It would shift a little more weight rearwards though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wouldn't be to do with any cooling effect then?????

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wouldn't be to do with any cooling effect then?????

[/ QUOTE ]

To be honest i think it just down to the suspension setup and where the brakes wont be in the way!

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

Surely then they would always be at the bottom?

HAve done with it - leading and trailing calipers front and rear /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

It makes ****** all difference where it is... Rotational force is the same all the way round the disc.. It will pull and push with equal force.

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
It makes ****** all difference where it is... Rotational force is the same all the way round the disc.. It will pull and push with equal force.

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly the main diff would be the force transfered to the suspension or the twisting (sear ) force

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Cheers

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It would shift a little more weight rearwards though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]