18" OZ Superleggeras on my S3 Pics as promised

IanL-RS3

Reaction score
click pics for bigger images at imageshack

Standards Wheels 1

Standard Wheels 2

OZ Superlegs

OZ Superleg close

i made schoolboy error of not specifying centre caps!!

Also need to sort with locking nuts as the mcgard i got with it werent long enough.

I notice that the ride if firmer, but i also feel more confident about the handling. this could be because i have gone from 32F and 32B on the Avus 17's to 34F and 36B on the 18 OZs.
As for noise. it actually rolls quieter at a low speed if that make sense, and its not noticable louder at speed.
I am guessing i have to take it easy on the tyres for a while - as i had a wee 4 wheel motion (and not the VW type!) when i wouldnt have expected it. Can anybody tell me how long i should take it easy for - until the coloured stripes on the tyres wear away?

the tyres are f1 gsd3's. i noticed on the tyre, not next to the gsd3, that it says extra load. i can't have been that lucky can i? also i like the rim protector on the tyres too,

My only gripe is that they've stuck a lotta weights on to balance them on the inside of the wheels and you can obviously see them - but i guess that is just the way things are.

and flush mount valves look cool too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hope you like. It was a tough decision between the wheels rich got and bbs ch's.

Looks decent Ian - the centre caps will finish it off nicely /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

I'd be interested to see how you get on with the F1s - soon I'll be replacing all 4 corners and these were what I was going for.

Is the firmer ride manageable/bearable on Glasgow's 'well maintained' road surfaces?

[ QUOTE ]
Is the firmer ride manageable/bearable on Glasgow's 'well maintained' road surfaces?

[/ QUOTE ]

i would say its a better firmer. more assured. not uncomfortable at all. the car feels more connected with the road. and over the backroads it felt better in terms of the car reacted more immedietely on turn in.

i have only driven 10 miles with new wheels and tyres over my usual work route so its a definitely back to back difference and for the good. im am happy with them.

i need to get it on the motorway in 6th at crusinng speed and see how it compares. But all is good so far. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

the strangest thing is that the car feels faster too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif but i'm 99% sure that is in my head /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Looking good Ian /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do the centre caps not come with the wheels?

[ QUOTE ]
Looking good Ian /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do the centre caps not come with the wheels?

[/ QUOTE ]

i was quite specific about the order and made sure everything was written down eg flush mount valves, eagle f1 GSD3, racing silver, but forgot about specifying centre caps. i had a look around and most places state that they come with the order. so i am off in to ask the guys where the centre caps are. always better to do it in person. wish me luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

boss at motorworld said he'll get centre caps tomorrow! he assumed they were in the box with the nuts and spigots. which arrived direct from supplier. oh and got myself mcgards locking nuts too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
as much as i'm a lazy git and buy tons of stuff off the internet. you cant beat a shop like that for customer service. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

been out driving it again. and it honestly does feel quicker and far more assured!! i have far more confidence in attacking corners and esp isnt kicking in and braking the front where it would have before.

i was trying to work out if it would be faster. the weight saving per wheel would only be a few kgs at most so its not down to the weight per se, but i guess if the weight is on the wheels it takes more power to turn heavier wheels? so could it be noticably faster due to lighter wheels?

does my napkin physics have any place in reality? lol

I'm not a fan of those alloys... especially on the S3 - but each to their own!

Look good IMO although it could do with lowering a touch I feel.

Glad you didn't go for the BBS CH's :p

Wish I had gone for flush fit valves now though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

wow - thought this thread had died /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

but i'll get some more pics up with the centre caps after a weekend away.

flush mount valves look very cool- i'll do pics for those who arent sure what they look like. wee bit more hassle when checking pressures, but worth it.

I was VERY tempted to go for CH's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif but thought superleggeras would be a bit different and less common. and i was in blissful ignorance of this until i went to Scottish Vag meeting and noticed a lot of Golfs with them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Give me a few hundred miles more to evaluate the F1's. Only done about 450 on them so far.

cheers

[ QUOTE ]
wow - thought this thread had died /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

First time I have looked in this forum LOL