Quattro Understeer!!???!!

The Slug

Reaction score
Why is it that some ppl say GSD3 are great , and other say not so good as old GSD2's, also with the quattro, does any1 get understeer with any other tyre than the MICH Pilot sports, as i get this sometimes when pushing them round corners, does this happen with GSD3's or any other tyre, not sure if its the way the quattro is setup or wether its the dam tyres i got, lol, plz help!! 245/45/17 is whats on at the mo.

Audi engineers their cars to Understeer for safety reasons (See the MK 1 TT for the results of a neutral setup /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif) So your problem is not necessarily tire related /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I run 245/45/17 GSD3's in the Spring/Summer and they hold better than my old Conti SC2's, but as always, if you push them hard enough, they will slide /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Think i'll stick with the Pilot sports then, as these are very predictable and great in the wet.

The slug, I drove a chipped S3 with the michelin and found them very good in the wet.

Check the thread about my 3.2 and you'll see that even Guru Ess-three find all audi's understeer when stock so not worth changing the tyres.

Anybody tried upping the tyre pressures at the rear. I've read this works to a degree on the track so would probably work just as well on the road. Tyres will wear out quicker though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yeah, if you have a look at Jojo's track-day thread on the 8L forum, you'll see he played with tire pressures. You'll also see what some people have to say about fr/rr pressures.

Playing with tire pressures is free! Use it at will and as often as possible, until you find what's right for you.

Genereally, on a fwd car, more rear pressure will let the rear come round easier, thus negating some of the built-in understeer...

H&R have a set of adjustable anti-roll bars for our audis on their catalog (8P and 8L, fwd and Quattro).

Yeah i know by adding pressure to the rears will give more oversteer, but as a result of more unstability with less tyre tread on the road..

What sort off pressure you running, cause my car was oversteering (quattro) a little and ive upped the pressures to 36 all round and handling is much improved (19, 235's)

on 17" 's 225 45 's mine is i think, lol, if i can remeber 26 for front and 28 for rear, works well for me, now have F1's too and these seem pretty good!

i have 32 front and 36 rear on my toyo's but i will oput it back upto 34 on the front as i noticed a bit of oversteer i shouldnt have..