Audi S3 cluster change. Now no fuel gauge?

sprint3

Reaction score
Hi to all.

i currently own an A3 2.0fsi 3dr (07/2004). I recently brought a used set of s3 clocks (8p) from ebay which i had coded last week. The car starts and runs fine. But now have no fuel gauge. I read the post from NHN about the new clocks that was fitted to his a3 and how a new fuel pump/sender was needed along with some additional wiring which maybe required. The problem im having is im not to sure on what part i actualy need. I have checked pin 25 on the multiplug at the clocks and there is no wire present at this pin. Ive also checked the fuel pump and the plug has 4 wires in it. Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

I have asked a mate who has the FSI same year car as yours to post on here when he can as he has done this mod aswell based on my original findings, have you checked the speedo is accurate or not, given its an S3 cluster not an A3 version.

Ok that would be great. Im just a bit stuck with what actual sender/pump i need as there are many variations. Yeh i have checked the speedo and it seems to work fine. No problem there. I have the brake light and abs flashing mad at me which is driving me insane. I belive thats a coding issue. Again the audi dealer have no idea with that. But thats a whole new area toghether. The fuel situation is most important at the moment. Thanks for the quick reply.

You have to code the cluster in an adaption channel 37 to advise which type of brake system you have as it has settings that apply to 4wd or fwd cars, this will remove the abs etc flashing issue, audi dealer cant get into this option to change it, vagcom can though which I sell, you can of course ask a user near you to code this for you dependent on your location.

you will need a new fuel pump.

I had pump number 1K0 919 051 J and found that revisions AE, AQ & BH should also work - I got a revision BH from German ebay. (NOT AP,BG or BS = quattro!)

your existing fuel module will work fine, i used my old one without any problems. (this is the black box under the rear seat that the fuel pump goes into on the petrol models only) but as per NHNs instructions, you need to to connect pin number 8 on the fuel module to pin number 25 on the speedo cluster (IE - T10b/8 to T32/25) to get the gauge to work.

sorry, i cant be sure of the part numbers for the repair wires but perhaps : 000 979 131 for the module end and 000 979 018 at the cluster end but i'd check with dealer as im not 100% sure!

To get the ABS etc light to go out you need to code the cluster so i no longer thinks its a quattro.

as per NHN's post:

So what I did, I went home, plugged in VCDS, went into 17, security access to which vcds prompted me to enter a certain code that was displayed, entered, went into adaptation channel 37 & set to 11 given mines 2wd where as 4wd is 00 I think, but quick browse in there can advise which is correct for your car, this told car what braking systems etc I had, lights all went out, job done

full details here:

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showth...Cluster-DIS-fitted-to-04-8P&highlight=cluster

Nice one Ew, you got my message then Scarlet PImpernel.

many many thanks for the quick replies guys. Much appreciated. Thats a great help!
Im in the bristol area if any1 is near for the brake/abs issue. Obviously happy to pay for the job. If anyone can help with that issue again id be grateful.

Thanks again

Ryan

Just to let you no. I fitted the above fuel pump today along with the wiring mod and all is working fine. Thanks again :yahoo:

No probs. Well happy with the out come, its been a nightmare without a fuel gauge. Brake warning light is still on at the mo. Thats the next thing i need to get sorted. I cant do much with that at the mo as i dont have vag com. Got an esp light on as well which has came on (and staying on) since i been swaping the clocks in and out. Ive gone through the reset procedure but still no luck :( Had it scanned by audi the other day and i have lateral aceleration sensor fault and steering angle fault :sadlike:. Thanks

Those shown faults are because they have to calibrate them ***, if you went to Audi they would of done these for you or should of & also as already advised you need to code the brake system into the cluster adaptation channel, get yourself vagcom & sort it, you obviously paid enough to swap the cluster out, do yourself a bigger favour & invest in a vagcom genuine cable whether from me or from another seller, its the best thing for your car tbh.