Battery charging at idle????

qawsed

Reaction score
I am having probs with flat battery.Can i ask if starting the car and letting it run at idle is capable of charging the battery?
Would 20-30 mins at idle be sufficient to last for a couple of days.My car does not get used every day at the present period.

Id say best thing would be just to give your car a good run! Dont mean flat out just so the oil gets nice and hot in the engine. Just leaving car on idle will charge the battery bit. But dont think it's that good for the car.
Might aswell enjoy taking her out for a good run. I work away alot leaving mine week, sometimes 2 weeks. First think i do when get back home is jump in take her out for a run.

Problem i have is i only use the car at the weekends.But i keep getting a flat batt.The car as been to Audi MD many times and they can not find a fault when its there.The Conveince module as been wet but i have told this is not the issue.its a long story.
On average the batt last 3 days from the weekend so it flat by the next.I cannot leave on c hagre it is parked at kerbside.
It as had 3 batta over a year period and i have been told the alternator is of by kwik-fit and md.
I

Welcome to the site.

Ideally the alternator would need checking to see if its charging properly, but yes an idle start for 20mins or so should be ok as I did the same with mine mate when not used all the time, a good run will of course be better, but the weather we've had hasnt helped for sure if the car hasnt been used during the cold weather, just kills the battery, maybe get a better battery mate as I did, instead of the recommended varta blue range for my car I went for the ultra silver dynamic which is much better.