2.0TDI Glow plugs

vanduara37

Reaction score
Ran autoscan on vagcom and showed 4 glow plugs faulty which seemed strange for all 4 to be faulty.What is the best way to check them? What i have done is remove all 4 glow plugs and tested them by connecting 12v power direct to them (12v+ to tip of plug and 12v- to body of plug)should this cause the glow plug to glow orange ? cos none of them did or is this the wrong way to check them?

John

Connecting them to a 12Volt supply is a good way of testing. They should glow orange after about 1 second.
The technical way will be to check the resistance across them with a ohm meter. Should read less than 1 ohm.
Strange that all 4 have gone though?
Jim.

(Strange that all 4 have gone though?)

Thats whats concerning me too,have changed all four so will check again in a few days and see whats happening.The only thing i can think is my wife is mobile hairdresser so the car is stopped and started a lot daily(don,t know if this would affect glowplugs or not)?

By any chance does your car go into limp mode after 3-4000 revs as mine does and i have all four showing on diagnoses, plus an over boost problem and the garage i brought it from reckon im going into limp mode because of the glow plugs and not the over boost

I know this is an old thread but will just add my experience . I had problems with glow plugs too they all had faults on diagnostics so replaced them with new bosch plugs and they all became faulty within weeks of fitting. After some reading I realised my car (Audi A4 B7 2.0 tdi 170 bhp brd engine code) needs 7 Volt ceramic glow plugs not the 4.4 volt ones that are for other models