V6 ENGINE

fallmonk

Turbo Sport
Reaction score
Website
www.filshill.co.uk
Hi folks have looked and i think this is the best section in the forum to ask this ,,,,,,,

Im looking to buy a new AUDI and one of the cars im looking at is a convertable but its a V6 2.6cc is there any major faults on this engine ? my mate has a mondeo V6 and has had nothing but problems with it, very expensive problems! is this things i should expect if i buy it?????
thanks mick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif

How old?
How many miles?
Manual or Automatic?
Any options?

Hi Mick,

I might be wrong, because I'm by no means certain, but wouldn't that be the same type block that's in my dad's 93/94 (L) 100 2.6 V6?

If so, I just thought I'd let you know that he's had no major problems with the car at all - he bought it three years old from Lex Audi in Preston and it's been serviced there and at their successor (Preston Audi) ever since. It's done a few less miles (was doing the average 10-12k per year but recently it's dropped massively) at around 75k - he had a new exhaust system fitted recently, and before that it had its timing belt etc. done (I don't think this was done at Audi actually) - the engine must be quite resilliant because it ran a tooth out for a little while after that until it was spotted and quickly rectified!

The only issue with the car at the moment besides a few paintwork scratches, is that the bushes in the front corners could do with replacing.

As far as the engine itself is concerned, it still performs well considering its age - it might not be quite as definate under acceleration as it was when he bought the car, but now and then he still likes to put his clog down from 0 and you're well in the back of the seat as you feel the wheels fighting to get a roll /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Obviously this might not be a measure of the entire production-run, but I thought I'd give you a report of at least one Audi 2.6 V6 lump from that period.

All the best with your car-search!

Regards,

Rob.

My V6 has had no problems whatsoever after 130k miles, had other problems but nothing on the engine. Just make sure it's had the timing belt, water pump & tensioner replaced if its done over 80k miles.
Don't compare Ford engineering with Audi. Fords do tend to be tuned up to get max power, whereas the opposite is true of most VW/Audi's, which is why you see s many Mk1 Golf GTi's still going strong, but few XR3i's