advised i need a new engine

C C M

Audi TT (180) 2003
Reaction score
Hi guys,

New to this forum and have an important question for some help, i WAS a member of another forum but no help was given.

on my audi tt i have encountered a small problem i have low compression in cylinder 3 audi have advised they need to take the cylinder head off ata whopping £520 if the problem is lower ie piston they advised an engine replacement at wait for it........£4500-£5000... wwwhhheeeyyy !

Tell what i have done and if anyone can help i would greatly appreciate it..

ran my very own compression test all other cylinder 1,2 & 4 were sitting at 1000 but number 3 was sitting at 400. i have changed all plugs and coil packs but still nothing, i had been running my car on fully synthetic oil 0w30 lucas. a mechanic advised me to place oil directly ontop of piston and retry the compression again so when done for a second time the pressure raised to 600, the mechanic then concluded its from the bottom of the engine ie a piston ring, im understand this problem can be 1 of 4 things 1. piston ring 2. valve 3. cylinder head gasket 4. cracked cylinder block.

can anyione advise me any different ??

i have been quoted £1000 to replace the ring is this a good price and can this get replaced from the bottom of the engine by removing the sump or is this a strip down cylinder head off ??

super thanks in advance....

I'm no mechanic but from the reading of your analysis, it would suggest maybe a piston ring as the oil has maybe sealed a gap which has enabled the higher reading, but I bet once the oil has moved/dissapated/whatever, it will read lower given the gap has opened again, maybe someone with engine experience can advise better but new engine seems tad OTT at 1st, I'd go for ring as piston oil test has maybe shown the flaw.

I know if i was doing it i would want to remove the engine prior to strip down for proper evaluation.

£1000 seems excessive for just a set of rings. Rings,mains and big ends a set of oversize pistons and all gaskets can be bought for around £600-700 its just the machining of the cylinders and re assembly etc. Or around £1200 can net you a recon engine if you look around, or maybe £600 for a used unit from ebay or similar