wiring in electrics?

Reaction score
Where is the best point to splice off a spare power line?

Previously, in my Mk3 Golf, I just used to pull out a non-essential fuse (interior lights, etc) and then stuff a stripped wire in the one side and then push the fuse back in (obviously making sure whatever I had wired in was also fused) and then I'd wire the ground to a grounding point on the metal structure under the dash (near the fuse box).

I knwo this is hardly the "recommended route", but I was wanting to see what the recommended method for wiring in something on the Audi A4 would be. Anybody got any diagrams / how-to's that would point me in the right direction? I jsut need a few photo's to see where to get started.

Preferably with a choice of "permanently "on and "ignition controlled" options? Although I can always work these out for myself...

I'm looking to wire in a GPS/laser/radar camera detector (v low current) on the ignition controlled circuit and then also to mount cigarette socket and USB charger on the permanent circuit (yes, I know - can cause battery drain, but I'll probably put an in-line switch to limit the scope of this).

Any help / links appreciated!

edit: this is relation to my B6 A4 Quattro TDi.

you could test the feed to the cigarette lighter socket - i think its on with ignition off, and more convenient to get to than the fuse box, or failing that the power to the radio

I used the cig feed and put a 4 port 12v sockets in my glove box. Only ever use them for low voltage things, phone charger, tom tom and things like that.