Volks AutosMonster Motorsport
    Reverse Gear

Status

Audi A3 Gear problem! Please Help!

hi guys....

i have an audi a3 1.9TDi 130.... i was driving home and i notice something isnt right with the gearstick. wasnt feeling how it shud.. then i shift into second to take a turn....and nothing.....then i tried first gear....nothing... it feels like nothing is there.... third gear, 4th, 5th and reverse all go in fine...and you can feel it go into gear. i have been told it could just be a linkage problem for gear one and two.... however i am worried it could be a gearbox issue which is worrying me!

Can anyone shed some light on this.....

Thanks

Ozzy

2. # ADS
    ADS

Reverse Gear

Status
    Hi there

I had a similar experience recently and I dont think you will like the sound of this:
    The gearbox on my S3 was crunching occasionally going into third, I didnt think a great deal of it, then driving home from work I dropped the car into third to overtake and when changing back, had lost all other gears. From that I had to drive home in third; luckily the car had the torque to pull away!!
    I had the car taken to Audi thinking no one would buy it off me in the future if I scrimped on a cheap garage.
    They took out the selector and said it wasnt that. Next they said it would cost 1700 to take the gearbox out, strip it and repair it (if it was repairable) or 2500 to replace. If it couldnt have been fixed after stripping and a new one was fitted, I reckon that the cost would have been well beyond 3k.
    I chose to get them to replace it as I didnt fancy the cost of stripping and a new gearbox, and I thought it would look better for resale and peace of mind; still gutted that it cost so bloody much.... and the fact that my rubber buttons have failed on the boot again after already spending 250, 2 years ago getting them fixed.
    I hope this helps
    Cheers
    Mark