Fitting a new a4 battery - please help!!!

eddie13

Reaction score
I am trying to fit a new battery to my 1998 audi a4, but how the hell do you get the old one out!!!?? :uhm:

On the right hand side of the battery there is a nut facing you that you can just reach, but it is impossible to turn with a normal spanner. It looks like its attached to the black plastic thing at the back and I'm not sure if you have to take this off at all but it seems like its holding the battery in place??

Could anyone please shed some light on what i need to do first to get the battery out and if i need any special tools or anything? any advice would be much appreciated thanks!

You need to take off the battery cover, then the plastic its attached too - there is a metal srew to the right of the bonet hinge and then a number of plastic screws under the windscreen, then the plastics will come off (remove the rubber gasket piping at the forward edge too)
Now there is a bolt holding the battery securing bracket to the left of the battery. Undo that, the terminals and the pipe attached to the top of the batery (if fitted)