EM TuningJMB Retrofits
    1st Gear

Status

Steering rack (loss of fluid)

HI all, I have a 97 tdi 110 and have a leak on the drivers side of the steering rack, the engine is out at the moment so the rack is easily accessible. I have a split in the rack gaiter and a load of fluid is coming out but shouldn't there be a seal to stop the fluid getting to the gaiter, as i thought the gaiters job was to keep the dirt out?

2. # ADS
    ADS

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    The gaiters job is to keep dirt out, the seals have gone in the rack. When my friends went like that we changed the rack. Its not hard but fiddly with the engine in, so if its out, now is the time

Space Cowboy

Status
    its near impossible wi the 1.8 20v engine in the A4, and I was told it was the only job the garage had ever seen come up in red on the autodata repair quote system!

I drove the car (B5) until I got fed up topping it up just to get 5 miles, then the steering pump burst a gut at 172000 miles (!) scrapped it and had an Alfa for a while (crap build quality - a fiat wi knobs on and a fast engine.) now back to a B6. Luvvin it.

Better to do it now while you have the easier option, I noticed that my B6 was slightly low on fluid, got the right stuff and topped it up, (proper VAG or MUST be mineral based audi suitable. All other fluids will feck the seals even quicker and it will piss out, believe me.) no leaks and no problems since, still full after 3000 miles. I reckon they use a tiny bit of PS fluid all the time and over a few years it goes down and down, by the time you notice the howling starting in the pump, the damage is done as the system dries out slowly over many miles and the seals shrink and crack.

Hope you get it sorted out ok mate.
    B4 TDI - old skool project / daily driver...if it ain't broke, it's probably an Audi...