Water problem

Crashlanding

Reaction score
hello again!

within the 3 weeks i have had my 1998 A3 i have had to top up the coolant water level twice.

possible leak? where are these likely to leak from? is a it a quick fix?

all help kinndly received thanks guys

Gee:rock:

having similar problems mate...not sure what it is...typed it in google to see what happened...saw lots of people reporting the same problem...but no one giving an answer as to what the problem is..so if you have found out can you let me know..i'm thinking sumat to do with waterpump!!cheers sean:blackrs4:

Dont laugh at this but it might help you locate the leak, hear me out.

I assume there are no wet patches left over night on the ground under the engine area, if not then I would stick a towel, large sheet, blanket or bit of cardboard under the car, start the car & leave it to be build up pressure in the system for anything upto an hour to give it time & see if it drips anything down onto the material below then this would give you a general idea of where the leak is as it must be going downwards obviously, then you can start tracing threw.

If there arent any overnight then sounds like a tiny pressure leak as it would seem to only lose water when the system is running & pressure is maybe making the minute split in a pipe that usually when not in use would look like a completely sealed pipe, release droplets of water cause twice in 3 weeks it would say its losing water @ a very very slow rate.

Have you checked pipes around the areas you can, squeeze them to see if it releases any water from anywhere, even the smallest of split pipe would be causing your problem, try this when engine is running so you are adding little pressure to the pipes, of course with care.

Have you had the cambelt done, when its done they should also replace the water pump always, as its a 98 the pipes are fairly old so might have a split & sounds very likely TBH.

Check for a residue caused from the coolant. Coolant will form into a crystalline like substance... Just trace along all water jackets and piping, including the radiator/heater matrix. Even a very slight leak will leave tell tale signs like this. You could also have the cooling system pressure tested to make sure the cap on the coolant bottle is not faulty. This would also show up any obvious leaks. On older cars a head gasket could also be to blame, though you would more than likely see water in the oil if this was the case.

Dont laugh at this but it might help you locate the leak, hear me out.

I assume there are no wet patches left over night on the ground under the engine area, if not then I would stick a towel, large sheet, blanket or bit of cardboard under the car, start the car & leave it to be build up pressure in the system for anything upto an hour to give it time & see if it drips anything down onto the material below then this would give you a general idea of where the leak is as it must be going downwards obviously, then you can start tracing threw.

If there arent any overnight then sounds like a tiny pressure leak as it would seem to only lose water when the system is running & pressure is maybe making the minute split in a pipe that usually when not in use would look like a completely sealed pipe, release droplets of water cause twice in 3 weeks it would say its losing water @ a very very slow rate.

Have you checked pipes around the areas you can, squeeze them to see if it releases any water from anywhere, even the smallest of split pipe would be causing your problem, try this when engine is running so you are adding little pressure to the pipes, of course with care.

Have you had the cambelt done, when its done they should also replace the water pump always, as its a 98 the pipes are fairly old so might have a split & sounds very likely TBH.

Im had this on my 80 and there was a pin hole leak that sprayed the coolant straight onto the block where it evaporated instantly. took me a few weeks to find

you can get it pressure tested at a good garage, they will find any leaks, although obviously it will cost