Monster MotorsportEM Tuning
    1st Gear

Status

OIl Leak - Help Please

I have a 98 A4 1.8TQ and it's leaking oil. I jacked it up and climbed under there to look, and it looks like it is leaking from where the transmission bolts to the oil pan. I just couldn't see the actual SOURCE of the leak. This spot to leak sounds feasable and everything, (but one sucker of a job to replace the oil pan gasket! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif[/img]) however, I was talking to a mechanic at a prosche/audi only shop, and he said it is rare for the oil pan gasket to leak on the 1.8T's because they don't actually use a gasket but a sealant.

He suggested it might be the Camshaft Adjuster Seals. He said that they are towards the back of the engine and if they were to go bad, the leak would manifest itself in the same spot (between the transmission and oil pan) as the oil made its way down to the bottom of the engine. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Has anyone ever heard of these going out? Do they have a different name? Because I can't find them in the shop manual. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

If anyone has any insight on this, I would appreciate it!!!
    Thanks in Advance! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]
    -Brad

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status

Re: OIl Leak - Help Please

it may be the rear main, on the crankshaft behind the flywheel, if it is it's a gearbox out job [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

1st Gear

Status

Re: OIl Leak - Help Please

Finally got it fixed, turns out it was the Cam Adjuster Seals. Not a terribly hard job to do, but if you do mess it up, pistons can potentially hit valves, etc. So I had the garage do it. Came to $250 parts and labor. Not too bad, and it doesn't leak at all anymore! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]