DIY Wheel refurb?

Randomjim

Reaction score
Being a lazy git i didn't take my wheels off over the winter or clean them religiously so they are now a bit pitted around the dish.

Is there a way to sort this out without spending £50 a corner on a professional refurb? Maybe a light wet sanding or or a cutting agent you can buy...

The wheels are Asa's with about a 2 inch lip as you can see below.

Dude, i remember a while ago on the performance vw forum, someone polished and refurbed their alloys themselves and they put a full list of what sanding papers and compounds they used, it may be worth looking there or if i can find anything, i will send you a link...

good idea bigdavie.....but whoa...its a bit risky!!!!

Hmm that looks like a good way to lose a finger lol.

Cheers for finding that link buddy, looks like something i can do at the weekend

Does anyone know what other polishing agent i can use instead of that? Is it like a rubbing compound?

Do you mean the "Mothers" stuff in the pictures?
If so other alternatives that spring to mind are Autoglym Metal Polish, Autosol or Meguires NXT Metal Polish.

IIRC i think the one that most people 'used' to use was Autosol....hope that helps....

Good luck, also can you see if you can put some before and after pics up, it would be good to see how it turned out mate....

Cheers
Nilz

Yea will do mate, got the front 2 off at the moment waiting for some new tyres so i might have a go at them on saturday. If i f**k it up i'll just have to get them done properly lol.

LOL, well good luck with it anyway, let us know how it goes, i might even give it a go with my TT Comps....but i think i'll let you go 1st ;-)

I was gonna do it last weekend but then at the last minute i was offered a bargain on pirelli p rossos. So i shelled out £260 fitted including one spare for 225/40/18. Had to snap that up.

I think i'll do the refurb just before the summer starts (if it does) and also thinking maybe a dremmel would help?

Oh ok no worries, keep us posted.

Have just bought a set of wheels from ebay and am going to have a go at doing them myself too. Will post some pics when the wheels arrive!