Audi S3 2000 Worrying Noises

jamieface

the only S3 in the villiage
Reaction score
Right then guys im pretty ****** off !Ive missed the RR day @ awesome gti due to this, My 2000 X reg S3 is making a very worrying noise from the engine its a loud tapping noise and it seems to be coming from inside the rocker cover near the cam belt cover. It only happens @ about 1600-1800 RPM the car doesnt idle roughly there seems to be no power loss oil is ok and the noise doesnt dissapear with the clutch depressed. can some one please help me here and put my mind at rest. Am i looking at a big bill or is this something less serious ??

thanks guys

j

Your car should have variable valve timing. It uses oil pressure and a valve to alter the timimng
The timing of the inlet camshaft is controlled according to engine load and engine speed. Oil pressure is fed to the mechanical camshaft adjuster via the inlet camshaft control valve 1 -N205-.
This is only supposed to start working 30 seconds after the engine starts. Try to see if you have this problem as soon as you start the engine or does it happen after a while. If it isn't there straight away it points to this valve.
You need to get someone with vagcom to give it a scan

That sounds About right to be honest. it seems to be slightly worse after the car has been running for about a minute and the noise only appears @1800-2000 RPM