Badger5Sky Insurance
    Reverse Gear

Status

A4 B7 (2005) OEM Navi Antenna Position?

Hi

Anyone have any idea where the OEM Navigation Antenna is located on an A4? I'm doing another RNS-E retrofit and always like to get the antenna in about the same location as the OEM one goes... done loads of Cabriolets (the antenna goes in the bootlid for them) but never a hard top.

Any thoughts?

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    In the sharksfin on the roof if it has telephone prep as well or like mine which doesnt have factory phone prep then it's built into the rear screen.
    A6 3.0 TDI.

Reverse Gear

Status
    cool... thanks for the speedy response.

I have no phone prep or sharkfin so I reckon I'll stuff the nav antenna above the rear seat reading light. If the reception is rubbish it'll have to go by the centre brake light I guess.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by gatsoman
    cool... thanks for the speedy response.

I have no phone prep or sharkfin so I reckon I'll stuff the nav antenna above the rear seat reading light. If the reception is rubbish it'll have to go by the centre brake light I guess.
    Unless your fitting a sharksfin? The 'hockey puck' antenna will have poor reception as it doesnt have a clear view of the sky.

Thats a lot of effort to route the cable all the way back there. Why not drop the glove-box and stick it to the underneath of the dashboard?

Thats what I did when I fitted one for a friend - Always gets 7 or 8 satellites without fail. Only takes 10 minutes to fit it up there. Sky view is perfect as it looks directly upwards through the front screen.
    A6 3.0 TDI.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thats a good point - I guess there is no value in me sticking it where it should go as its not an Audi OEM antenna anyway.

Glovebox is coming out anyway making way for the CD Changer one so I will gluegun the antenna to the bottom of the dash.... easy!!!

Cheers

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by gatsoman
    Thats a good point - I guess there is no value in me sticking it where it should go as its not an Audi OEM antenna anyway.

Glovebox is coming out anyway making way for the CD Changer one so I will gluegun the antenna to the bottom of the dash.... easy!!!

Cheers

Fitting the non-OEM antenna under the roof will give terrible GPS reception. Much easier above the glovebox. FWIW I used some sticky backed velcro pads as I was a little apprehensive of a reaction with the dashboard material if I used the tube of superglue I had handy
    A6 3.0 TDI.

hud at ye bam

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Issac Hunt
    In the sharksfin on the roof if it has telephone prep as well or like mine which doesnt have factory phone prep then it's built into the rear screen.
    Only the Avants have the sharkfin, the saloons have the antenna up behind the rear reading light.
    [/sarcasm]

5th Gear

Status
    The saloon I saw must've been retro-fitted then. What a pain in the arse job, no way would I be drilling holes in the roof.
    A6 3.0 TDI.

Reverse Gear

Status
    The thing is surely its metal up behind the rear reading light? How does the aerial get any reception? Or is it in trim by the rear window?

I'm sure I am going to go for the behind the dash option, but interested all the same..!