caliper paint melting?????

20vtdaz

Reaction score
hi guys, i recently repainted my brakes as the paint job from new wasnt awesome to say the least, when i had finished they looked fine no runs etc etc, the problem i have now noticed is that there are runs in them that werent there before and i seem to have spots of this paint on my wings doors and even bonnet, could it be melting at high temps and flicking over the car, please help as i want to resolves this asap, thanks guys daz

you need to leave them to dry somewhere warm and dry for 8-24 hours after they've been painted. If you don't then the paint won't harden properly. If you've done them outside at this time of year then the splatters are not paint melting, but paint not yet set!!

Did you use "brake calliper paint" or Hammerite?

i left them 2 days to set, although it was outside, im thinking an error on my part then, it was a caliper paint, im thinking of striping them back again, would make sense? thanks for the reply, daz

I use hammerite one coat stuff and haven't had any problems daz

you know its typical, i saw that and thought it would work but went for the (so called) proper stuff, live and learn they say, thanks guys

the heat will cure them so long as it's dry, but at this time of year the relative humidity of the air means they'll take days to fully harden.

If you used the proper two part caliper paint and that's happening then I suspect you didn't use enough hardener, I painted my calipers on the car on a cold day in winter (outside) and the paint had still hardened enough to reassemble everything in a few hours.

(if you've got deep pockets)

Will powder coating stand up to the heat generated by the brakes?

I done mine with caliper paint last Summer and they've been good as gold. Although the red wasn't a great idea as they are a mare to keep clean looking:Flush:

Oranoco said:
Will powder coating stand up to the heat generated by the brakes?

I done mine with caliper paint last Summer and they've been good as gold. Although th ered wasn't a great idea as they are a mare to keep clean looking:Flush:

i think so...why not? powdercoating actually involves heating and baking the powder iirc