Oil/filter Change - Auto. Transmission

Clach

A3 - 1.8Ts
Reaction score
Hi, posted this in the A3 site but sadly no replies..can you help?

'Despite claims that Audi Auto Transmissions fluids are lifelong, I fell a service is in order. Has anyone ever had a service on their transmission before. I am sure (and hope) a little oil/filter change will make a world of difference to a very clunky Audi transmission.... :icon_thumright: (A3 1.8t 2000, 50K)'

I am just slightly nervous that the transmission oil/filter should not be touched, only the Oil should be topped up...

Thanks

I am aware the tip-tronic needs to have their oil changed but not the older version transmission, but why, giveN the evidence that Oil is a major reason behind transmission failure.. (am I missing something)

The multitronic needs the oil changed at 40K miles. The tiptronics are filled for life according to audi. If you need to change the oil you need to do it with vagcom or other diagnostics to ensure the oil is at the right temperature during the change to ensure it is filled correctly. Also make sure you get the oil specified by audi it is different to normal auto trans fliud. My tiptronic is on 98K without any oil changes and is still going strong.

Cheers, how do I know which tranny I have. I am assuming it is a 'normal' not tiptronic tranny. It is 4 FWD speed, Rev, n & P...? What's the difference? Going to have Audi check the levels in the morning...

A quick way is to look at the gear lever. In the tiptronic the auto and tip modes the gates are level with each other. In the multitronic the manaul mode is staggered down from the auto mode, hope this makes sense

No. sorry mate, not really...mine looks like this

L P
E N
V D
E 3
R 2

Mine must be the old one..