Chris NottAH Fabrications
    Reverse Gear

Status

2.0 FSI turbo common fault?

Hi all new member here, hope this is in the correct place. I was intending to buy an Audi A4 2.0T FSI Quattro S-line after looking for the perfect car for the last 4-5months. I've always been lead to believe that the 2.0 FSI turbo unit (as found in the Golf GTI) is very very reliable. However, after reading the article on page 19 of Audi Driver June 2007 (Issue 6 Volume 11) entitled Mysteries of the 2.0 TFSI I'm having second thoughts. The article discusses details of a 'common fault' around fueling which can cause the car to hesitate or for the ECU to put the car into limp mode. This is then cured by either running a test on the ECU and replacing the regulator or replascing the regulator and pump. I was wondering if anyone could answer the following questions for me:

Is this really a common fault have people experienced this problem?
    Is it something that would be covered by the warrenty?
    Which year of models does it effect?
    Is there a proper cure, recall or mod as it sound like it could re-occure every 15,000miles?

I would really appreciate peoples views on this, as I'm not keen to invest a lot of hard earned cash if a fault exists with this engine.
    Last edited by tmitch45; 27th June 2007 at 19:07.

2. # ADS
    ADS

GreasedMonkey HoofHearted

Status
    Well I personally havn't experienced, or heard of any probs with this engine.

Afterall, it is used across the entire VAG range, including Golf GTI, Seat Leon Cupra R, Skoda Octavia vRS, Audi TT, Audi A3, Audi S3 - and probabaly a couple more too.

At the end of the day, though, any engine, from any manufacturer can suffer from the occaisional glitch.

I personally think it is a cracking engine, much better than the 1.8 20v turbos.
    Sean - Independent Motor Vehicle Technician (retd)
    ------
    2007 Audi B7 (8EC) RS4 quattro saloon 4.2 FSI V8 32v (BNS) (with ceramic brakes ) - V-max = 9.8mpg @ 172 mph - WOW
    2006/7 VW A5 (1K) Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr 2.0T FSI (BWA) DSG, fully loaded, colour coded,
    1998/9 Honda CBR600FX - the blueberry trifle

2003 Audi B6 (8E) S4 quattro saloon 4.2 V8 40v (BBK) 6sp man, fully loaded (gone, but not forgotten)

6th Gear

Status
    I've had 2 variants of this engine with no problem and hopefully none to come.
    Wife - 12 BMW 320D 181 bhp, 8 Speed Auto, Melbourne Red, Heated Leather, privacy.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy. (Sold)
    Golf GTi MK6 - Revo stage 2, ITG, Milltek Race TBE, AP Racing 4 pot BBK - Sold.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy,Nav, Park sensors, 6 disc, Revo Stage 1, ITG Enclosed Intake - Sold
    BMW M135i F20 - Bloody good straight from the box !

"Fast Cars are Safer...."