Chris NottAH Fabrications

Status

Oil pump failure on 180hp 2.5TDI V6

The crankwheel (as Audi describe it) that drives the oil pump has stripped its teeth and there is swarf in the sump, engine not stripped further yet.
    Anyone heard of this happening before? Is this a common problem? What would cause it?
    Audi say new engine. Is this unavoidable? Will debris from here go around engine or get caught in filters first?
    If its a new engine wheres the best place to start looking?
    2001 A6 Avant 2.5TDi quattro Sport 180hp+TurboDynamics MD438 hybrid+Bosio Race683s+3" exhaust+Celtic Tuning remap - now with adamss24 replaced with runabout
    2007 BMW 535d AM Sport + Celtic remap
    2004 A4 Avant 1.9TDi quattro Sport 130hp + Superchip - sold & replaced by
    2005 Audi TT 1.8T
    1988 Yamaha FJ1200 120hp finally traded after 23 years for
    1986 Yamaha FJ100 (1300 barrels shhh!) with too many bits to mention
    2011 BMW 320d M Sport son #1
    2004 Suzuki SV650 S son #2

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    not an audi, but had this hapen many moons ago o0n my old Gpz.

It didnt shear, but some knob used blue hylamar on the crankcase gasket and blocked the oilways.

Same result, oil starvation to the crank and knackered big ends.

I would expect there to be some sort of scavenging filter in the crankcase. Isnt the sump drain plug magnetic?

I would certainly expect some if not all of the big ends to be gone, maybe even some damage to the small ends.

In my case I had I simply wiped the crank out, had it reground, measured up for the shims, got them ordered and put the baby back together.

Those were the days, wouldn't even concider doing that myself now. A gave up working on my bikes after I found I needed a "Special" plug spanner to remove them on my VF1000R.

Its a big job to strip the baby down and I think you would have to split the crankcase to see what the problem was.

I would expect that Audi are saying its a new engine becasue of the amount of labour involved to do the repair properly. Would any garage do this sort of work nowadays. What happened to wiping your engine out and sending it off for a recon.

Rant over. Good luck with her

Cheers

Simon
    A6 3.0TDI Quattro Avant Le Mans
    A6 2.5tdi Quattro Sport 180 Sadly Missed
    A6 1.9tdi Avant ................. Gladly missed
    A6 2.8 Quattro .................. Sadly missed
    Quattro 2.8 Coupe ............. Sadly missed

SatNav, BT, AMI, DAB

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by simonwjones

I would expect that Audi are saying its a new engine becasue of the amount of labour involved to do the repair properly. Would any garage do this sort of work nowadays. What happened to wiping your engine out and sending it off for a recon.

Simon
    As Simon says its balancing the cost of a new engine against the labour charge of stripping down the old engine and checking/replacing most major components due to oil starvation.
    e.g.
    Check the cams for wear
    Check the cylinder bores for wear/scoring
    Check the Big end bearings
    Enda1

96 S6 2.3T
    99 A6 1.8T SE
    93 80 2.0 (gone)
    93 Kawasaki ZZR600

2nd Gear

Status
    FJ

how are you getting on with this

seen no update for the last few days

Cheers

Simon
    A6 3.0TDI Quattro Avant Le Mans
    A6 2.5tdi Quattro Sport 180 Sadly Missed
    A6 1.9tdi Avant ................. Gladly missed
    A6 2.8 Quattro .................. Sadly missed
    Quattro 2.8 Coupe ............. Sadly missed

SatNav, BT, AMI, DAB

Status
    Sorry about updates but am also in the process of moving to Falmouth and am up and down the country like a yoyo in hire cars. The family is there, i drove up last night and was in Glasgow this morning and am now in Camden now as I type this. Did you know you can get from Falmouth to Glasgow in 6 hours 45mins in a 100hp diesel Passat? By the way my user survey so far says Europcar are crap, Enterprise are good, don't know who i'll use this weekend yet.

My car is now at Star Performance and I am awaiting their view before I do anything else.

I was expecting a engine strip down by Audi and probably a recon engine. What I got was them droppping the sump and then I was told new short engine, 2 new heads, parts and 18 hours labour = 7500 plus Vat. They hadn't even looked at the turbo, let alone anything else.
    2001 A6 Avant 2.5TDi quattro Sport 180hp+TurboDynamics MD438 hybrid+Bosio Race683s+3" exhaust+Celtic Tuning remap - now with adamss24 replaced with runabout
    2005 Audi TT 1.8T

3rd Gear

Status
    Bummer

Reverse Gear

Status
    yes i have heard of this before, the 2.5 tdi engine has like a dry sump and the crankwheel you are talking about is right up in the crankcase without the huge job of removing the crank which looks (to me anyway) pretty much impossible and would involve removing heads and engine anyway is the only way to get to it. removing the oil pump you may get a better look this is also in crankcase has the chain driving the pump snapped could be a oil pump tensioner fault the one i remember i think the engine was repaced as it was the cheapest option if you have the man hours you could spend the time stripping everything down and checking but this would be a huge time consuming job plus stripping a engine down that size to that magnatude you may get it all back together and have more probs than you started with i personally would renew the engine hope this has been some help

Status
    Thanks that is useful. I finally got to talk to the Audi tech that dropped the sump, he also suggested the tensioner may have failed. There was not much damage in the tunnel the chain drive runs in and he said the chain was still intact and appeared undamaged. The swarf in the sump was bits of metal, possibly teeth from the crank wheel. No one has yet given me any idea why it happened.

If the engine has been trashed I need to find a replacement. Anyone want to suggest the best place to start looking?
    2005 Audi TT 1.8T

Reverse Gear

Status
    yeah i think if you want to get to the bottom of what happened it will require some stripping down possibly removing the oil pump may give you a better view, not sure where to start looking for engine will keep a eye out for you though

Status
    Ach crivens the engine and turbo are fooked (financial term meaning your bank account savings and credit facility are all about to disappear). Further posts will continue on my thread in the diesel forum. Oh and just to put the lid on it the FJ failed for the first time in 18 years of ownership last Thursday, leaving me on the hard shoulder in the torrential rain with what after waiting 2 hours for recovery turned out to be a fried battery. Ever thought someone was trying to tell you it was time to give up driving?
    2005 Audi TT 1.8T