Dump valves

waynehiscock

Reaction score
are there any atmospheric dump valves on the market for the 1.8 20v turbo

ive been told not to get one cos they mess up the ecu.

my m8 has a recirculateing one but its not to my likeing.

i got a turbo and i want people to know it.

neone got ne experiances with atmospheric dump valves?
cheers wayne

The only experiences are ones I've read. They seem to fit into two categories :

[1]Had it but got annoyed with the noise after a while
[2]The car performed worse.

I'd stick to the Divertor rather than Dump Valves.

Agree with ScoTTy, thats what has been said in the past.

Wayne, the Diverter Valve (or Recirculating valve) is there to divert the air the turbo has compressed, back round to the turbo air inlet, to keep it spinning and so to reduce lag. If you vent that compressed air to atmosphere then...well, your turbo's rev's may drop, and so when you get back on the gas, it will have to spool up again. Thats the theory (think I've got it right)

If I were you I'd try one anyway, see how it goes and let us know, maybe your experience might be different to others. Some of the "vent to atmosphere" valves are only cheap. Give one a go and see how the car performs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cheers

AL

INVO auto make one for jap motors which recircyulates the majority back in, but vents a little bit out to make a noise. Could probably make it fit a 1.8t.

Rich B

Hi quick S3,

I posted a bit more info in a different thread, here it is:-

S3 Hesitation & DV

Basically, the car has felt alive since putting the 710N valve (brand new from VAGparts) on. Until the coil pack failed on the 10th Feb. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Initally the CL007P did feel good, maybe slightly better than my original 710N valve. But as the above thread describes, I still experienced hesitation with the 007P. Maybe it needs servicing?

Now that a coil pack has been replaced, I should really start the comparisons all over again. You never know, the hesitation may have been caused by the faulty coil-pack.

RE: Jo and the Stratmosphere valve.
It could be either the Stratmosphere valve is very good, or Jo's standard valve is ********.

Jo, I suggest getting a new standard valve and giving it a try. See if there is any difference.

Cheers

AL

Thanks for the info, Both of you. (AL and Audi Girl)

Its going to be one of them try it and see i think.

Ive asked Audi @ Aylesford to have a look at The DV today(check it anyway) while
its in to have the all important.............
wait for it ..........Headlight washer pump changed!

The car is still covered by the used car warranty so might as well make full use of it!!

Do you know i think this is one of the best web site/Forums
ive used and i dont mean purely car wise.

Once the Database/Forums get some more History its gunna be superb

Cheers all

[ QUOTE ]
quick S3 said:
Do you know i think this is one of the best web site/Forums
ive used and i dont mean purely car wise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheers. Its a pleasure. Credit it should go to John (JPR) really for getting it off the ground.

[ QUOTE ]

Once the Database/Forums get some more History its gunna be superb

[/ QUOTE ]

The old site had thousands of posts, lots of history and lots of knowledge. It was truely superb. Sadly it was "lost". BUT, we will get there. The knowledge base will grow as time goes on, every post that each member posts is helping to do that - and it all gets backed-up on a regular basis! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Which is nice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

AL

I was told of uneven idling, wrong mixture, misfiring. I decided to go for the bailey recirculating DV.
There is word of companies trying to make atmospheric ones that get round the problems, eventually they might solve it. For the time being, if you want to hear a whoosh, then get an induction kit, you'll certainly hear it then! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Chris

ok now im completely lost lol

and an induction kit is going nowhere near my audi. had one on my corsa ended up annoying me all the time.

wots a stratsmospheric dv

[ QUOTE ]
waynehiscock said:
wots a stratsmospheric dv

[/ QUOTE ]

Wayne, a stratmospheric dv is a valve which incorporates advanced worm-hole technology to create a tiny worm-hole from the DV to an area in the upper atmosphere, to which the gases are vented. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Real answer, its just a brand. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

AL

I learnt this last night as well! It's made by Stratmosphere, and it's called a Hyperboost !!

Uses a piston instead of a diaphragm (like the Bosch)...

For a chance to win a brand new one, enter our competition !!!

Sad but - I'm dying for a dump /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

Most of the people who have the 1.8t have fitted a plethora of different valves, including most of the guys in the Audi club here. Most have now gone back to the stock valve,its cheap, you get better throttle response and seems to be smoother in some ways. I know of at least half a dozen people who will galdly sell you a second hand after market valve along with their after market airfilter.