Battery Loosing Charge.....

rickquattro

Reaction score
On behalf of a friend with an A2.....The A2 forum is a little quiet..

His car didnt start after being left 4 days. I gave him a jump start, and after this he contacted Audi about the problem. Apparently the dealer said that the car will flatten the battery in this time from the alarm whilst it just sits there. So if he goes on holiday for instance, and leaves his car at the airport, after a couple of weeks he cant start his car ! Is this normal ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Hope someone can help.

Thanx

Rick

Your friend's dealer is talking out of his **** mate. A typical small car battery has a 50Ah capacity - so somehow the car is drawing about 10Ah a day from it. Audi's breakdown rescue would be working overtime if every Audi died after 4 days - there would be a queue of vans at every airport...

If it is under warranty tell him to throw it back at them quoting the above. If it's not, let us know and we'll go through some diagnostics.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Thanks Mutley,

I couldnt believe that Edinburgh Audi could possibly be right on this either. Sounded like a complete fob off. In terms of diagnostics where would you suggest he starts ? A good auto electrician ? I asked the questions about interior lights being on, etc etc.
I also think that the car is under warranty, he got it second hand with 33k on the clock.

Rick

Hi Rick,

If possible, connect a multimeter set to 'current' (min 10 amps) in series with the earth return to the battery. Whatever you do, don't crank the engine or the multimeter will have a heart attack. Make sure the radio code is known first also.

Note the current draw and then start pulling the fuses until it reduces to almost zero. That should soon locate the culprit.

When re-connecting the battery the throttle pedal must be left alone for a good 10 minutes while the ECU goes through its re-calibration. The electric windows will need to be cycled up and down and the radio code re-entered in the meantime.

All the best

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Thanks again. I have a multimeter so I can help him with this. Alternatively he can drop it back to where he got it from.

Let you know what happens..

Rick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

A-ha,

Turns out that the light in the glove box was permanantly on....bit like the one in the fridge.

Many thanx, its sorted by replacing the headlight switch which the glovebox light problem is wired into.

Rick