cambelt

Mo-S3

Reaction score
A qucik question toanyone who has personally replaced a cambelt:
Im currently changing one on a 98 A4 and currently stripping the front of the car down.
Having set the crankshaft and camshaft pulley's to their correct marked positions. Do i just slip the old belt off and refit it?
Just looking through ELSA and its confusing as it says rotate the crankhaft?
Or am i just reading that part wrong?
Thanks

as far as i'm aware its a case of old off & new one on.
I think they recommend replacing the tensioner bolts too..

I have done a cam belt swaps on an S2 & 1.9tdi & they are a straight off & on. I cant see why you would rotate the crank with the belt off, that makes no sense at all..

On some, they reccomend replacing the water pump too as it's bearing is the weak link...

Hope this helps

Thanks,
I have replaced one on an S3 in the past without any instructions. Just that Elsa said rotate crank for some weird reason.
old off and new on.

put the new belt on Mo then turn crank shaft 2 full revolutions and the timing marks should match up again

Cheers, just ordered all the parts for it from vag parts and should have it done by the weekend.

sometimes it is recommened to rotate the crank slightly (with the belt off) to take the piston down the bore a bit - just in case you rotate the cam accidentally so you avoid a valve hitting a piston. Otherwise there is no logical reason for 'untiming' the engine before putting a new belt on, or is there......?