radio trouble

dan.obi

Reaction score
hi i bought my audi a3 with no head unit installed so i bought a audi concert 2 cd head unit as i had the bose system in the car and didn't want to go for an aftermarket head unit, but since installing the head unit i find that after an hour or so the sub decides to switch it self off but i have tried a concert cassette head unit of my mates and alls fine

can some one give me some advice on why this is have i not connected the earth correctly or is the wrong head unit, also after turning off engine and removing key from ignision the radio stays on,

SOME ONE PLEASE HELP!!!! IM LOST IVE TRIED EVERY THING IN MY CAPEABILITY.:think:

s8craig said:
How old is the car?
What part number is the concert radio?

Sounds like your car is tool old for that radio.

the car is a 1997 P and i dont know the model number of the normal head unit as i never had one when i bought one, the one from my friends came from a Y i think,

to be honest the system works perfectly well unit, untill the sub goes off it just the reason is why have bose system if you can get the full potentional from it its like haveing and S3 with only 2 gears "POINTLESS":jump:

s8craig said:
Well your car is pre - can bus, does the radio display on the DIS? the stations etc.

Dont understand what you mean, The display displays everything it's suppose to i.e radio stations etc, if thats what you mean

What Craig is asking is: Does the radio station you're tuned to show up on the DIS? The DIS is the section between the speedo and rev-counter.

arthurfuxake said:
What Craig is asking is: Does the radio station you're tuned to show up on the DIS? The DIS is the section between the speedo and rev-counter.

it doesn't no only on the head unit it self, i didn't think it was suppose to..:think:

You need a Concert 1. The Concert 2 does not have an ignition on connection and is expecting the CANBUS to tell it when the keys are in the ignition. A P reg A3 is not equipped with this feature so is reverting to the "one hour on" mode which all Audi's have, i.e. you can switch the HU for an hour without the keys in the ignition. It'll then switch itself off to prevent draining the battery.
You can buy CANBUS emulators that'll provide the signal to tell the HU that the engine's running but they can be expensive.
Are you saying it is just the sub that switches off after an hour? It should be the HU.
If it's just the sub then I doubt you have the Bose system as the sub amp runs off the same remote on signal as the Bose amp that powers the cabin speakers so can't see how the Bose amp would stay on and the sub would switch off.
Has the sub got 2 x 4" speakers or one 6.5" speaker in it?

to be honest mate i dont really know weathe rits one or 2 speakers as i aint really looked but the owners maual does specify it a bose system and also the rear passanger speakers have the bose signs on them..

The head unit does go off some time but mainly the sub not all the time and not also completely just sometimes muffled, i paid nearly £200 for the head unit and dont really fancy haveing to replace it with another head unit. :no:

but if you know of any were i can get one cheap enought or even the CANBUS emulater then you help would be appreciated:respekt:

****JUST BEEN AND CHECKED AND IS 100% A BOSE AS ITS HAS IT ON THE STICKER ON THE SUB THANKS****

Sounds like you've got 2 different problems there. The sub cannot be effected by the lack of CANBUS, without the main Bose amp also having the same problem.
the sub problem may be completely independent of the HU problem. Had gwiz6193 down at the weekend as his Bose sub was cutting out in his S3 (very immaculate S3 BTW).
Removed it, checked the wiring which was fine, then ran a soldering iron over the circuit board on the Bose sub amp inside the enclosure and got it all working again. Can only assume it was a dry solder joint.
However if you tried it with another HU and all was fine then maybe it's something else, or just a coincidence that it behaved itself with the Concert 1.
Does the HU stay on for longer than an hour? Or does it shut down?

no it dont turn off after an hour but has just ramdamly swithed off before but it took longer than an hour, i was reading a tread on this site about a sub and they said that it need to be earthed or something along those lines, i took my HU out earlier and found a brown wire with a flat female connector so i was getting to the idea that maybe thats the earth for the sub/ amp do you think that could be the prob with the sub??

That's the earth for the chassis of the HU, but definately needs attaching to the back of the HU, as could be causing all sorts of voltage issues if the HU isn't grounded properly

Not a lot. It's a databus used to program different devices in the car, so you can change the way they work without having to rewire anything. Pretty pointless in regards to the HU as all it does is tll the HU when the ignition is on and when the keys are out, which worked perfectly fine with a simple ignition on feed to the HU.

You have one already on the cars harness, it's the HU that doesn't have the connection, that's the problem. No way round that I'm afraid unless you go aftermarket or go back to an older Audi HU like the Concert 1.